• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide mobo and memory 1366 - 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hybris6

Hi all,

I can't decide which mobo to take for my i7 - 920.

I want USB 3.0 and the new Sata so the choice comes down to

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7

or

Asus P6X58D (which I can't find in any shops in Sweden)

I always had good experience with Asus and maby Im unlucky but I had to RMA 3 Gigabyte boards in a row so I don't have that good experience with them.. However it seems like alot of others have good exp with Gigabyte so maby I was just really unlucky that time..

Is the asus board worth the wait?

For memory I plan on getting:
Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz XMS3-12800
7-7-7-20 , 1,65V

Are they any good or is there better memory for the same price out there (I want 6GB)

So the goal for the rig (win 7 pro) is to run on aircooling 4GHz stable 24/7. I will buy 2x graphiccard (dunno if it will be ATI or Nvidia)

The only future proofing I want is usb3 (1 or 2 ports is enough) and the new Sata (1 or 2 ports is enough). And Yes USB 3 and new Sata is a must have.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thx.

It is kinda wierd that you had such bad experience with Gigabyte boards.

Anyways of the 2 I would pick the UD7

Its basically the Gigabyte extreme 2 ... very good for overclocking, had USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/S and has an awsome additional cooling solution.

As long as you have an OK chip you shouldn't have any problems getting a 4GHz 24/7 OC... that is what most people do.

That corsair memory is a solid choice... you will need 1600MHz for your overclock. It also has really tight timings.

I would say the ud7 also, and the kingston hyperx is good mem too, should save you some cash over the corsair

If your goal is 4GHz you should go with either 1600MHz ram or 2000MHz ram, depending on how much you want to spend for performance.

For your 4GHz, you are going to use 200BLCK with a 20 multiplier.

With your ram muliplier at 8x, you get 1600Mhz for your ram.

With it at 10x, you get 2000Mhz.

Fits perfectly.

You can use 6x if you want, but its low performance in comparison and your 1333 ram would only be running at 1200.

Thx all,

doesn't anyone think the Asus board is better? If not why?

Ok think I'll order tomorrow (Gigabyte) if noone speak up for Asus :)

Back