• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help - G. Skill DDR3 2000!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey there guys. I have the Perfect Storm Modules. Heres the deal. When I go into my BIOS and enable the XMP profile to get them to run at DDR3 2000, they work flawlessly. I memtested them at this speed and they passed with no problems. Windows boots, Primes no issues. (CPU was at 143x21 = 3.03Ghz)

When I go to overlock my i7, I just set the bclk to 200, cpu multi to 20x for a perfect 4Ghz. Now I leave the XMP profile enabled for DDR3 2000 (yes I made sure the DRAM Freq was that). I reboot and now instead of detecting 6GB, its only reading 2GB... :sly::shrug:

Now I reboot, I disable the XMP profile. I set all the timings manually to 8-8-8-21, manually change the volts to 1.65v and make sure the target DRAM Freq is still 2000Mhz. (this is with the CPU at 200x20 = 4.0Ghz) I reboot and.... nothing. Won't even POST. :shrug:

So how is it that it can POST, memtest, and Prime with the XMP Profile enabled at 2000Mhz, but when I disable the XMP profile and set everything manually, it refuses to POST?

Help please? I want to be able to run 4.0Ghz with DDR3 2000!

List your pertinent BIOS settings(including Bios Version) please. I have the same board with 1504 bios and my DDR3-2000 runs just fine on manual.

Code:
AI overclock - manual or auto
OC from CPU level up - auto or i920/i940/i965
OC from Memory level up - auto or manual
CPU Ratio setting - auto or XX
[B][COLOR="Cyan"]
CPU configuration[/COLOR][/B]
CPU Ratio Setting - auto
C1E Support - disable or enable
Hardware prefetcher - enable or disable
Adjacent Cache line prefetcher - enable or disable
Intel Virtualization tech - disabled or enable
CPU TM Function - enable or disable
Execute Disabled bit - disabled or enable
Intel HT Technology - enable or disable
Active Processor Cores - all or 1 or 2
A20M - disabled or enable
Intel Speedstep tech - enable or disable
Intel Turbo Mode tech - enable (Not shown if Speedstep is disabled)
Intel C-STATE tech - disabled or enabled

BCLK frequency - XXX
PCIE frequency - XXX
DRAM frequency - DDR3 XXXXMHz
UCLK frequency - XXXXMHz
QPI frequency - auto or Manuel Value

[B][COLOR="Cyan"]Dram timing control[/COLOR][/B]
1st iformation - Insert Timings Here in X-X-X-XX -X-X-Xformat
2nd information - Insert Timings Here in X-X-X-XX -X-X-Xformat
3rd information - Insert Timings Here in X-X-X-XX-X-X-X format

EPU II phase control - full phase
Load-line calibration - enable or disable
CPU differential amplitude - auto or manuel values
Extreme OV - disabled or enable

Current voltage 1.54v - 1.812v - 1.35v (May be different)
Cpu voltage - X.xxx v or auto
CPU PLL voltage - X.xxxx v or auto
QPI-Dram voltage - X.xxx v or auto

Current voltage 1.131v - 1.508v - 1.111v - 1.508v
IOH voltage - auto
IOH PCIE voltage - auto
ICH voltage- auto
ICH PCIE voltage - auto

Current voltage X.xxx v, X.xxx v, X.xxx v ,X.xxx v
DRAM Bus voltage - X.xxxx v or auto
DRAM REF voltage - auto

Debug mode - string
Keyboard TeakIt comtrol - disabled or enable

CPU spread spectrum - disabled or enable
PCIE spectrum - disabled or enable
CPU clock skew - auto or XXXX ps
IOH clock skew - auto or XXXX ps

I would start with ruling out voltage by bumping up your VDIMM and VTT a notch or two. Say 1.70/1.35v and try to boot just to check.
I'll have to dig into my BIOS and see what I have set. It's been a while since I've been in there.

Also, not sure exactly which PS modules you are running, but these threads might contain some useful info.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=221646&highlight=perfect+storm
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=231127&highlight=perfect+storm
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=222385&highlight=perfect+storm

Last edited:
OK heres what i have right now after a fresh BIOS reset:

AI overclock - manual
OC from CPU level up - auto
OC from Memory level up - auto
CPU Ratio setting - 20

CPU configuration
CPU Ratio Setting - 20
C1E Support - disable
Hardware prefetcher - enable
Adjacent Cache line prefetcher - enable
Intel Virtualization tech - enable
CPU TM Function -disable
Execute Disabled bit - enable
Intel HT Technology - enable
Active Processor Cores - all
A20M - disabled
Intel Speedstep tech - disable
Intel Turbo Mode tech - enable (Not shown if Speedstep is disabled)
Intel C-STATE tech - disabled

BCLK frequency - 200
PCIE frequency - 100
DRAM frequency - DDR3 1603Mhz (2005Mhz won't let me boot!)
UCLK frequency - Auto
QPI frequency - auto

Dram timing control
1st iformation - 8-8-8-20
2nd information - 1n-51-53-53
3rd information - 5-5-14-10-10-10-7-6-4-7-7-4

EPU II phase control - full phase
Load-line calibration - enable
CPU differential amplitude - 800mv
Extreme OV - enable

Current voltage 1.19v - 1.812v - 1.131v (May be different)
Cpu voltage - 1.45000v
CPU PLL voltage - 1.89542v
QPI-Dram voltage - 1.38125v

Current voltage 1.09v - 1.508v - 1.111v - 1.508v
IOH voltage - auto
IOH PCIE voltage - auto
ICH voltage- auto
ICH PCIE voltage - auto

Current voltage 1.51v
DRAM Bus voltage - 1.65681v
DRAM REF voltage - auto

Debug mode - string
Keyboard TeakIt comtrol - disabled

CPU spread spectrum - disabled
PCIE spectrum - disabled
CPU clock skew - auto
IOH clock skew - auto

Your DRAM Bus voltage says 1.656v, but your current VDIMM says 1.5v. They are supposed to be the same within .01,.02ish volts. That could definitely have something to do with it. Not sure what you can do to rectify that other than sent a higher VDIMM. Say ~1.7v.
Is that 940 a C0? Your Vcore and QPI are already quite high. I don't think the QPI/DRAM voltage is part of the problem at 1.38v.

While you're at it, try some looser timings at 2000MHz. Something like 9-9-9-30-2T and see if that makes any difference whatsoever.

I'm gonna dive into my BIOS right now and see what I have set differently.

Last edited:
You could also try the other RAM slots and see if that helps you. Currently I use the outer(blue) slots. On this particular board, I really don't know if it makes any difference as I haven't even tried the whites yet.

I've read their QVL and it specifically states that to run at DDR3 1600 and up (to include DDR3 2000), that the blue slots must be used. I'm about to pull my hair out. I tried the setting listed in G,Skill's forums to no avail. This system will run 200x20, DDR3 1600 at 8-8-8-24 1T all day long no problems. I didn't buy this set of RAM to run just 1600.

What baffles me is that if I set it to use the XMP profile, it boots up no problem at 3.03Ghz. It memtested ALL night for almost 9 hours with no errors.... its gotta be the CPU's IMC I'm thinking. I just don't get it.

Try varying the gap between QPI/DRAM and VDIMM. Currently I run a .35v gap, the same as I did with my Bloodrage. But of course I am running a D0 and can get away with running a QPI/DRAM of 1.300v to go along with a stock 1.65v Vdimm.

But I know that depending on how far up you push the CPU and RAM frequencies a larger or smaller gap can make a difference in how stable the system runs, or if it even boots at all.
As I see it now, you are running a .27v gap. Try upping the VDIMM to get a .35 and then a .40v gap and see if that helps. In my case, I have alot of wiggle room both ways on the QPI/DRAM, but in your case it will likely just be the increase in Vdimm that is helping you and nothing else. This all assumes that your chip is as much of a voltage hog on the Uncore as it is on the core, and you actually need that 1.38125v you're using.

i forgot to mention I'm running the latest BIOS - 1639. Dunno if that helps or not. I'm trying the vdimm and QPI gaps like you suggested and I'm getting nothing. I can't even boot now using the RAM's built in XMP Profiles.. wth is going on here :cry:

Last edited:
There's probably a simple explanation, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.
I sure hope it's not the RAM itself. That would be the sh*ts.

From what I have been reading with folks with Ram issues it may have something to do with this setting
UCLK frequency - Auto
but I,m not sure as dont have i7, but I,m sure someone will know

The UCLK setting basically allows you to lock in the UnCore mulit which in turn changes the Uncore frequency, which should be at least 2xDRAM frequency.
You can try manually setting UCLK it to 2xDRAM if you want, and see if it makes any difference for you. I lock mine in at 16x(3200MHz) when I run my ram at x8 multi for 1600Mhz, but I honestly can't say as it makes any difference because I have never used AUTO.

Last edited:
as a side note. I have 2 920's one will run my mem up to 2150 I can pull the cpu and with everything else the same the other chip will stall at 1650. Some chips as the freq goes up wont be able to run mem speed way up, thats just the way it is. nothing wrong with 1600 mem speed if you can tighten the timings up

Well here ya go. Its memtesting just fine right now at DDR3 2000: This is with the XMP Profile enabled. (notice the CPU speed is only 3.03Ghz - 143 x 21)

hv89is.jpg

It's likely the Uncore Voltage that's holding you back on that one. How high have you pushed the QPI/DRAM voltage? You may find that the amount it takes will not be sustainable for any amount of time, but at least you will have found your answer.

Dejo, you are right. He could be bound by his CPU. And personally, I only top 1600 when I'm benching.
I would immagine the OP would just like the piece of mind of having the headroom that the Perfect Storm would provide if needed. Can't say as I blame him.

I have a feeling that might be it too. I've tried as high as 1.55v as I've seen in posts over at XS. like here I'm beginning to think I"m bound by my CPU :( as per my screenie above, the stick WILL do DDR3 2000 no problem. Just the CPU has to be slowed down. So I'm pretty confident its not the sticks anymore, as I've tried just about everything.

Back