• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No SLi on newer S1156 boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Looking at the web pages about the new i5 and i3, Intel also listed 3 new chipsets that seems to no longer offer 2x8 PCIe support: http://hothardware.com/Articles/Intel-Clarkdale-Core-i5-Desktop-Processor-Debuts/?page=4

Q57, H55, and H57 looks like they are 1x16 only, while the current P55 can do either 1x16 or 2x8, which implies to me that dual video card won't be supported on newer board without extra hardware similar to that Gigabyte P55 board that claims to do 2x16 PCIe

The limitation could be related to having support for the new graphic chip on new i5 CPUs

If you want to run SLI...why look at the new chipsets? The purpose of the new chipsets is to support the integrated GPU in Clarkdale CPUs...if you plan to get Clarkdale and SLI...P55 would be the logical choice.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but...

ive found a board with that socket that supports SLI......

Asus P7P55D EVO, Intel LGA1156 Platform / Intel® P55 Express Chipset

Specifications
CPU Intel® Socket 1156 Core™ i7 Processor/Core™ i5 Processor
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Chipset Intel® P55 Express Chipset
Memory 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
*Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. Some hyper DIMMs only support one DIMM per channel. Please refer to Memory QVL for details.
**Refer to www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors Lidts).
Expansion Slots 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (at x4 mode, 2.5GT/s)
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s)
2 x PCI
Multi-GPU Support Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
Supports ATI® Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
Storage Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
1 xExternal SATA port
JMicron® JMB322 (DriveXpert Technology) :
- 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue and gray)
- Supports EZ Backup and SuperSpeed functions
*Drive Xpert function is available only when the hard disk drives are set as data drives.
LAN Dual Gigabit LAN controllers Realtek® 8112L / 8110SC Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2 and Teaming
Audio VIA® VT1828S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Absolute Pitch BD192/24
- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O
IEEE 1394 VIA® 6308P controller supports 2 x 1394a ports (one at mid-board; one at back panel)
USB 14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 8 ports at back panel)

I already got a P55 board. I was just wondering if the new chipset is simply not able to SLi or Crossfire as the new chipcet is supposed to be able to support the integrated graphic chip, where P55 doesn't.

I've decided to get i5 750 for sure. Quad physical core still outperformed the new Clarksdale CPU (dual core with hyperthreading) by a good margin. I'm quite sure that 750 overclocked to 4GHz can still beat any i5 6** or i3's clocked to 5GHz in any cpu intensive tasks. I'd rather get something that can make 3Dmark look good, not just the raw GHz's. Getting my user name changed to 6GHz_or_bust instead of 5GHz would have to wait a few more years. ;)

ive found a board with that socket that supports SLI......
That wasn't his question :rolleyes:

I already got a P55 board. I was just wondering if the new chipset is simply not able to SLi or Crossfire as the new chipcet is supposed to be able to support the integrated graphic chip, where P55 doesn't.

I've decided to get i5 750 for sure. Quad physical core still outperformed the new Clarksdale CPU (dual core with hyperthreading) by a good margin. I'm quite sure that 750 overclocked to 4GHz can still beat any i5 6** or i3's clocked to 5GHz in any cpu intensive tasks. I'd rather get something that can make 3Dmark look good, not just the raw GHz's. Getting my user name changed to 6GHz_or_bust instead of 5GHz would have to wait a few more years. ;)
If you already own a P55 board, and you're planning to get an i5 750...then your question makes even less sense. There is absolutely zero reason for you to consider a board based on H55 or H57 :confused:

Unless your simply asking out of curiosity...

I'm not trying to dodge the question...I just don't know the answer, and apparently, nobody else does either :p

That wasn't his question :rolleyes:

If you already own a P55 board, and you're planning to get an i5 750...then your question makes even less sense. There is absolutely zero reason for you to consider a board based on H55 or H57 :confused:

Unless your simply asking out of curiosity...

I'm not trying to dodge the question...I just don't know the answer, and apparently, nobody else does either :p

I was just curious. I was looking at the new Clarksdale when I noticed the newer chipset has onboard video for I5 on CPU graphic, and all were 1x16 PCIe, no 2xanything at all. That lead me to suspect the newer chipcset didn't support or allow Crossfire or SLi since it could conflict with the on chip GPU.

Back