• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M4A78T-E and GSkill CL7 1600 Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xcalbr2

Hello, I am an overclocker newbie and am needing some help with my new AMD system.
Been up and running for 2 weeks now AMD PH II X3 720 BE, Asus M4A78T-E board with current bios (2303), GSKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM memory 4Gig (would like to up to 8Gig) in two orange inboard slots, Stock AMD cooler but will upgrade shortly, Saphire 4890 video card and Corsair 850 power supply. All in a Lian LI PC 60 II Plus case.

Currently all settings are automatic and I have not done anything in bios as I have been reading about this memory both being great and or not able to function at advertised settings. I want to over clock some and would like to get this memory to run at advertised (7,8,7,24,2N 1.6v) settings.

I am good with hardware but have not had any experience overclocking.
Can someone perhaps using this setup or similar assist with best settings for the memory and will also accept any CPU overclocking info too.
Thank you so much
Xcal

Last edited:
If you're only looking to run the RAM at spec, then change the following settings at a default CPU Bus Frequency of 200MHz...

Code:
DRAM Command Rate: 2N / 2T
tCL: 7
tRCD: 8
tRP: 7
tRAS: 24

DRAM Frequency: 1600MHz
DRAM Voltage: 1.6

That works great... any suggestions on overclocking it? something stable for everyday but better than stock?
AMD 720 BE on M4At8T-E
Thanks

Timings of 7-8-7-24-2N are already decent for DDR3-1600MHz. Assuming those are Ripjaws, they should hit around 1744MHz+ DRAM frequency at 8-8-8-24 and 1.64 - 1.65V (CPU Bus Freq. of 218MHz).

So you are saying if i use a busfreq of 218MHz i should set the mem at 8-8-8-24? I am going to attempt this when i get home but i remember the system becoming unstable when i modified the ram freq.
Right now my system seems all screwy
Setup is a AMD Phenom II x4 955BE
Cpu-Z is showing core speed 3.6ghz
multiplier x18
bus speed 200.7 mhz
HT link 2006.8 mhz
Mem Dram Freq 669.0 Mhz
9-9-9-24-33-1T

What really confuses me is the mem says Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667mhz) but it shows an SPD Ext of XMP and XMP-1600... Am i missing something as to why it isnt working correct?!? Or does this have to do with the mem ment for an x58 board and i have to manually change all the timings?

p.s. i have the exact same setup (board + mem) as the topic lists.
http://pastebin.com/b9LJ6GGe

Last edited:
Back