• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 WC Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

Hey peeps, my i7 is OC'd to 4.0ghz, and i just installed water to go along with it... this is my first custom rig and water set up...

i just left the V10 Coolermaster with a i7 920 C0, and installed a DangerDen block, with a 2x120 heater core with 4 yate-loons (Push/Pull), and a DD variable speed pump... all this on 1/2 inch pipeing.

SO, i have the D0 step now with this new Water install, and now i have a qustion on Temps. My old V10 and C0 i7 idles at 35-38C with a load of 74, OC'd to 3.6ghz... NOW, in this new D0 set up on water OC'd to 4.0ghz, my idle is 40C but the max is 68C... should it be lower? any sugestions... oh, and i will try to re-seat the block again to...

your temps are ok, i7 throttles down on 100C, you can re-seat the block if you want, but temps are ok

That's a little high, but not too bad really, considering the loop components. If you had more rad and a better CPU block, you would probably see a decent drop. i7's are furnaces and a 120.2 is the minimum I'd suggest running one on.

Answer me this - Which model yates do you have? Heater cores tend to need more pressure than a rad designed for w/c, so if they're not pushing a lot of CFM (i.e. you have the SL or SM models), you might get some help by increasing airflow through your heater core.

That's a little high, but not too bad really, considering the loop components. If you had more rad and a better CPU block, you would probably see a decent drop. i7's are furnaces and a 120.2 is the minimum I'd suggest running one on.

Answer me this - Which model yates do you have? Heater cores tend to need more pressure than a rad designed for w/c, so if they're not pushing a lot of CFM (i.e. you have the SL or SM models), you might get some help by increasing airflow through your heater core.

+1

My C0 is @ 4.0Ghz with 1.37v and with the current wc setup (sig) cooling cpu only, my idle temps are 38-39c and load up @ 44-48c across the board. I only have 3 Scythe Ultra Kaze's in push config. only on a fan controller on med settings.

as for pressure... i see the fluid racing pretty well throught the piping so i dont know if pressure is an issue but your probably right, i am a noob to the WC world...

Would it help if i changed to something like a BlackIce 120.2/3? like, made for the WC world... besides, an unpainted Heater Core is dog ugly.

and lastly, as for re-seating of the block, there was NO directions for seating of it in the first place, in terms of tension with the "spring's"... do you just torq it down till the spring coils touch? tighter? looser?

Last edited:
Err...I meant air pressure, not water pressure. What's the model # of your fans?

You would likely see gains going to a 120.3 rad. Black Ice tend to have high fins per inch (FPI), so they will also need strong fans. IMHO, you'd be better off with a Swiftech MCR320.

As far as the block, be reasonable. If the springs aren't getting enough pressure before being fully compressed, compress them. Definitely don't keep trying after the springs are fully compressed though.

Good to hear, that is the tension i used! the "reasonable person standard" lol! as for the fans, they are "Yate Loon 120mm High Speed Fan: D12SH-12" as shown on my Dangerden reciept. And i will read up on that Swiftech MCR320 Rad... i just was some what disappointed when i seen the temps on WC with a D0 chip... i expected lower Volts = lower heat... and even at 4.0ghz, i am still under the volts than what i was when i was on Air, and not beating my V10!

So, i dont mind even changing the block out! if you got a fast recommendation for that one too... cool, other than that i will be reading more up on them too...

Thanks again for all your responses!:p

The Swiftech MCR320 Rad is the best bang for the buck. As for the block, the Swiftech GTZ is a very good block. Of course alot of guyz here will tell the the HeatKiller is the best (which it is) but also quite expensive.

IMHO you can go with the GTZ & MCR320 and achieve very good temps plus save some $$.

If not, and money is not an issue, then go with a HeatKiller block and a Feser X-Changer Triple 360 or aThermoChill PA120.3.

See, Im getting simliar temps with my loop...
GTZ, two mcp600's, blackice 3x120, 6 San Ace 109R1212H1J031 in push pull. My C0 is running at 4.0 at 1.40vcore. Idle is around that...maybe a bit lower.

A 120x2 heater core with some 38mm thick fans in push/pull is more than enough for an i7. But you need to push a lot of air through them meaning loud.

Look at the next Swiftech XT block, the GTZ is pretty good but the XT in tests is a few C better.

The DD TDX block is okay, but getting old and needs to be updated if DD wants to compete with other CPU block makers.

georanma, at 1.4v on a C0, those are pretty much expected temps.

Norcalsteve, you might also want to have a look at the Swiftech Apogee XT, which is similar in performance to the HK, beating it by a very small amount.

I'm only at 3.8GHz & 1.305v on my 860 and see ~60C loaded (~63C with a heavy prime small FFT load) with the loop in my sig. I'm taking the GPU out of my loop sometime soon, so hopefully that will help my temps a little bit. Won't be much, but every little bit helps. Water cooling will do better than air, but it can't work miracles.

Ya, I didnt think they were crazy or anything, just saw nebulous' temps, and was a bit suprised. My loop isnt that different. Mostly my load temps sit around like 65c, but Peaks around 70c. This is while running medium and high data sets on OCCT for a couple hours at a time.

I bet Nebulous has really low ambient temps. I couldn't imagine an i7 @ 4GHz with temps that low. Or he has a gem of a chip, which is also a possibility. :)

thats weird tho... i am at 1.31v at 4ghz, and hes at 1.37, so it may be a gem of a chip... maybe his C0 gives less heat at higher voltages than these D0's... and a good water loop ;-P

Last edited:
Well to put your minds at ease, this is where I'm at now:

Temps1.jpg

Ambient temps of 72F :cool:

Very nice!

Well, i re-seated my block and also shaved 3-4C off temp by getting core down from 1.31 to 1.28 for my 4Ghz OC! whoot... just lovin' this D0...

BUT! new goal... Match Nebulous in temps... i mean come on... its WINTER here in Germany, i know i can drop!

I've been doing a lot of logging over the last couple of weeks with my Core 920 D0 and these are extracts:

4GHz @ 1.23125v, HT Enabled = Ambient 20ºC - Max Temp 56ºC

4GHz @ 1.21875v, HT Disabled = Ambient 20ºC - Max Temp 48ºC

4.2GHz @ 1.26875v, HT Disabled = Ambient 20ºC - Max Temp 52ºC

4.48GHz @ 1.3625v, HT Disabled = Ambient 20ºC - Max Temp 58ºC

Idles in low to mid 30's, typically around 13ºC above ambient on hottest core.

HT is generally disabled as I found that for the applications I use that it has no benefit at all. It allows me less volts and lower temps.

Sweet spot on mine is 4.2GHz with HT disabled, 58% overclock with 58% typical performance increase

Back