• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IP35 Pro - Wake on Lan Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omsion

Tomato & Wake on Lan from WAN

[EDIT2]
OK, this is a networking issue, which I figured out, but I think this is useful information for anyone else that may want to use WOL from a WAN address in this specific manner. Original post and first edit are below.

Router is WRT54GL running Tomato.

Anyway, the issue is once the computer goes to sleep/shutdown, the router doesn't actually forward any data to it anymore. Technically, it drops it from the ARP cache, which is the translation layer between LAN IP and device MAC address. Sort of - it actually still knows its there, and if you remote into the router and tell it to send a WOL packet via ssh command-line or GUI, it will do so, but it won't route any packets to it not sourced from the router itself.

Anyway, the solution is in Administration->Scripts->Init
Code:
sleep 5
ip neigh change 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0
ip neigh add 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0
This forces the router to keep a permanent static IP address in its ARP cache. In this case, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff as a MAC address means that anything sent to this IP address is broadcast to the entire network. Alternately, you can replace the MAC/IP address to that of a specific computer.

Then simply port forward as usual.
[/EDIT2]

BIOS is V16, WOL is enabled in BIOS for both ports.
The problem is that after some time, the mobo doesn't appear to actually keep the NIC on, so it can't actually receive the WOL packet and wake the rest of the computer on.

So if I shut down/suspend the computer, and then try to wake it remotely soon afterwards, it will wake itself up. But after a certain amount of time (as of yet undetermined), it appears to shut down the NIC and not respond to the packets.

So yeah :(

EDIT: This also obviously could be a networking issue, but my router reports that the packet is being passed through correctly, at least.

Hmm...actually I should check out what my router sees when the computer is off, and what the behavior of the NIC is. Does it hold it's IP address when the rest of the computer is off? When the router says it's passing through the packet, it could be telling the truth, the only problem being the address it's trying to pass to doesn't exist? In that case, would I need to figure out how to broadcast the packet to everything?

Maybe move to Networking section? Anyway, experiments to follow this afternoon.

For reference, I've been using DSL Reports WOL utility, and my router forwards UDP 9 to the computer in question.

Last edited:
Back