• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone know what this brand is

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

windoze

Registered
Does anyone know what this brand is, trying to get more info on it before I pull the trigger.

01072010008.jpg

Last edited:
i take it that its a private seller your gonna purchase it from .. cant see whats on the chips .. do you plan on overclocking it ? have you tried emailing the seller and asking him/her ?

Last edited:
dont know about brand, but i have a feeling they bought OEM(blank branded) Micron/Cruical sticks. those IC's follow the Micron model, i would do a search on the IC's more then the brand.

XB,
if you can see it it is a DDR3 PC3-10600 9-9-9 4gig dimm with D9JNB ic's.

Something about that stick is telling me it is a ECC part but in not sure why. you have that IC to the right of the pic and it looks like it should be there at all for normal NON_ECC memory.

I vaguely recognize the logo, maybe if I think about it some more the name will pop to mind.

More importantly, though, what are you planning to use it in? That's registered ECC RAM, it won't work in a standard desktop system. It also is generally a lot cheaper than normal RAM for that very reason... a lot less demand for it. I suspect the price might be the reason you're considering it?

Does anyone know if ECC RAM is compatible with the mobos out in the market now?

Does anyone know if ECC RAM is compatible with the mobos out in the market now?

server motherboards... unless yours is one of those SKulltrail boards that uses ECC. skulltrail still a server board but marketed to gamers cause it had a NV200 chip for SLI or was it quad SLI.

server motherboards... unless yours is one of those SKulltrail boards that uses ECC.

Doesn't the Skulltrail take FB-Dimms? Those are a different thing.

And the RAM in OP's picture isn't just ECC, its registered. While there may be some exceptions, for the most part, either a board will work only with ECC reg., or it won't accept it at all. And to my knowledge there are no desktop boards that will take it, except perhaps some of the newer Mac Pros and similar high-end workstations.

That's a micron logo if I am not mistaken... I pulled some DIMM's from an old HP and it had that same logo, but it said Micron Inc. or whatever next to it. And yeah.. the last chip to the right of the DIMM makes me think this ECC server ram.

Doesn't the Skulltrail take FB-Dimms? Those are a different thing.
FB-dimm is still ECC, FB-dimms im sure you know allow for not only higher speed but future ram ic's (ie being able to use DDR2 ic's or DDR3 ic's on a FB-dimm). that way you dont have to worry about upgrading the board just to be able to use DDR3 based FB-dimms.

i was just making a reference about the skulltrail to newer boards. that only server based boards would use ECC based ram still. if that dimm had been a FB-dimm it would have a HS on it(im sure some are aware of that).

What I'm saying, though, is that FB-DIMMs are not the same as registered ECC DIMMs, which in turn aren't the same as plain ECC DIMMs. There are a good number of boards that can take plain ECC RAM, including quite a few X38/X48/X58 boards I believe, but a lot fewer boards can take the registered or fully buffered types, and what the OP has pictured is the registered type.

I can make out the words inphi on it if you look to the right side, full view works for me for some pictures.

if you google inphi you get some japanese company nvm it's in california. I can't make out any of the small lettering though bad picture with glare? ok nvm the words seem like they are the same on each ram chip. maybe that's micron's logo on it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/inphi-announces-phase-lock-loop-ddr2-667-800,265.html

it seems all i see is server ram and inphi.

Back