• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus ii forumla for 180, good deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tanderson

Registered
have a chance to get this board for $180. that a good price, used?
upgrading from a p35-ds3l motherboard.
anyone have this board.
suggestions?

you think its good deal for 180?

I think the price is too high, its an excellent board but its still a socket 775 board using DDR2 for upwards near $200, and its used. There's one on eBay right now for roughly the same price buy-it-now, refurbished.

Is your P35 limiting you from overclocking your E8400 higher? Do you plan on adding another 4890? I don't see what other advantages there would be to upgrading the motherboard.

Sorry, I was thinking of 1366!

180 is a bit steep for 775.. A Rampage Formula just sold in the classies for less then 150 shipped.

dang. i do plan on going CF eventually. im just itching to upgrade my old gigabyte board and love the asus boards. i cant find a good asus board for less than 200 that has CF besides the maximus 2 board. i dont think the guy will go any lower and im suppose to pick it up tomorrow. should i shoot for asking about 160? maybe less? could ya'll give me some sights to look on to get a board around 150 used/new like an asus rampage maybe

I suggest you pass on that board for a better deal, they are out there. You're going to want something with a x38, p45, or x48 in it to do CF, shouldn't be hard at all to find one under $150. I picked up an x38-based Maximus Formula with the stock northbridge waterblock for a little over $100 last January. I'd personally hold off upgrading the motherboard until I had a second video card. Also, Gigabyte makes some great x38 and p45 boards in addition to ASUS. :)

but then i would need a new cpu wouldnt i since they're different sockets?

Nah they're the same, p35/x38/p45/x48 are all LGA 775.

oh well great. i thuoght some were different. thanks for the heads up! now to find one of those boards! got any suggestions?
thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

I had a Maximus II Formula, and loved it. But I wouldn't say $180 is a good deal. I paid $150 for mine used about a year ago, and sold it for I think $125 a few months ago. The best thing about the MIIF though, is it is probably one of the best looking motherboards around (same with the Rampage II Extreme, which I've used as well :)). Nothing like looking into your computer and seeing that in there. The x48 boards just don't have the same look.

Back