• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, is my mobo dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp4zZ

I just finished putting together a new pc from some parts I bought off a friend, but ran into some troubles. The pc won't turn on when I hit the power button, but the motherboard lights are all on. If I unplug the 8-pin CPU power connector on the motherboard, then the pc starts right up, all the fans work, etc, except I get no video. If I plug the 8pin connector back in, the pc starts for 1/2 a second then shuts off.

I've tried re-seating the motherboard, cpu ( as well as trying a different cpu), ram, and video card, but no luck.

At first I thought it was the PSU, so I bought a brand new 850w one but still having the same problem.

Specs:
Asus Rampage Extreme mobo
Gskill 1600 DDR3 ram
intel e8400 core duo
xigmatek hdt s1283 cpu heatsink
ATI Diamond 4890 video card
Thermaltake 850w PSU
Antec 900 case

Any help is appreciated

have you tried it outside the case ? sounds like you pretty much tried everything .. maybe give it another try outside the case .. install minimal as possible (one stick ram etc ..)

Have you tried a 4-pin connector to the mobo? Has your PSU got multiple rails, and on your GPU what is the power input?

I don't think your mobo's dead if you can get it to start up altogether without the 8-pin

Have you tried a 4-pin connector to the mobo? Has your PSU got multiple rails, and on your GPU what is the power input?

I don't think your mobo's dead if you can get it to start up altogether without the 8-pin

Yes, I've tried the 4-pin connector as well but still having the same problem.

My PSU has four +12V rails(12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4) and my GPU takes two 6-pin PCI express power connectors.

Just tried it outside the case as suggested, same problem, everything powers on without the 8pin CPU connector plugged in, once it's plugged in, it won't turn on.

I dunno what else to try.
Suggestions?
Bad Mobo?

have you tested the psu with a multi just for one last giggle ?? otherwise get that thing in a box so you can get a new one

have you tested the psu with a multi just for one last giggle ?? otherwise get that thing in a box so you can get a new one

No I haven't, I don't have one on me at the moment.
But I've tested 2 PSU's on it (one brand new), so I'm kinda ruling that one out lol.

sorry forgot about the second psu .. just send it in .. hopefully turn around time will be quick .

In no particular order:

1. When you plug in the 2x 6pins for the GPU don't take them from the same rail, or try plugging only 1x 6pin in..
2. Also, do your GPU fan start up? If not it's your GPU.
3. Have you tried using a different display?
4. Try plugging the display into a different output on the GPU
5. Try putting the GPU into another slot.

If these don't work then I dunno what to suggest really, other than take it to a PC repair shop and see how much they would charge.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

1. When you plug in the 2x 6pins for the GPU don't take them from the same rail, or try plugging only 1x 6pin in..
2. Also, do your GPU fan start up? If not it's your GPU.
3. Have you tried using a different display?
4. Try plugging the display into a different output on the GPU
5. Try putting the GPU into another slot.

If these don't work then I dunno what to suggest really, other than take it to a PC repair shop and see how much they would charge.

I don't think it's the GPU, it's not that old and was working perfectly fine in my other pc before I put it in the new one.
The GPU fan starts up and works normally as well as the lights. I've tried two different monitors as well and different slots. Seems I've tried almost everything lol.

it won't short if you take it out and run it without a case.

usually p.o.s.t.ing ok in award (or most)bios gives 1 single beep on start up. i don't think you are getting there. it sounds like cpu or motherboard.

could it be possible that your motherboard needs a bios update to recognize the cpu?

what psu is it.. I know my enermax was mislabeled and was telling me to use my 8pin (6+2) PCI-E for my CPU and the 8pin (4+4) for my gfx.. which is *** backwards!

Do you have a spare PSU to test with? do you have all the extras unplugged (everything that plugs into headers on the mobo like usb/firewire etcetc)

Back