• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomasgi

I'm running into some questions about water cooling I've read many post and guides but they don't answer all my questions. If anyone can help me I would be grateful:salute:! My system is the same as my signature, I want to have a system that will cool my CPU for now and when I do some major OCing. In the future I want to have my GPU and ram WCool too. For now I know I'm gonna go with 2Swiftech MCR220 2x120mm rads and I know I want to have my reservoir in one of my 5.25 bays, I'm trying to stick under the USD$ 300 mark.

My questions are,
1. How big of a reservoir do I need (that will be sufficient for future addons to the system?
2. How many L/hour should my pump .. pump?
3. For my type of case should I still run the rads outside of the case?
4. Is there a CPU water block that will work with my Quad core now and could later be switched to an i7(I think I know the answer to this one)?
5. What size of tubing should I use?

If anyone can help it would make my week!!!
Thank you in advanced :salute:

#1 cheapest res is a T piece and length of hose.

#2 most decent pumps are around the 800 plus

#3 rads outside will give the best performance (sometimes not by a deal)

#4 I know some of the swiftech blocks have different backplates you can order to change the mounting between Quads and I7`s

#5 makes little difference... thicker walled stuffs less prone to kink.

:welcome: to the forums....

excuse me my curries ready :)

1 & 2:
You might want to look at a res/pump combo unit, such as either this BayRes One or this XSPC - Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC, both of which use the Laing DDC3.2/Swiftech MCP355 pump. The DDC3.1 and DDC3.25 pumps can also be used with either res too. I am using the second one linked and it's very good and very easy to prime and fill.

3:
I never messed with a 932 but just moved my daughter's system into a 922. You can easily mount a double rad in the top on it and it wouldn't be hard to external the second rad off the back side. Either way, that case is so open and has good enough airflow to not worry about internally mounted rads not being efficient.

4:
A Swiftech Apogee XT is a great block to use and there are mounting brackets for it in 775, 1156 and 1366 and the mounting method is pretty well foolproof.

5:
Personally, I like the Primochill tubing in either black or white and the 7/16 X 5/8 stuff is easy to use and does fairly tight radius bends with no kinking. I've also used the Tygon R3400 in 7/16 X 9/16 and it definitely will kink much easier than the Primochill stuff because of the thinner wall thickness. It also seems like the Primochill tubing doesn't stiffen up as fast as the Tygon either. I've also used the 1/2 X 3/4 Tygon silver antimicrobial tubing and it's kind of stiff, but pretty kink resistant. And I have used the 1/2 X 3/4 Primochill in black and it's a lot more supple than the silver Tygon. All are good quality tubing for your loop.

EDIT: For fittings, you can't go wrong with these Fatboy fittings, especially at that price.

#1 cheapest res is a T piece and length of hose.

#2 most decent pumps are around the 800 plus

#3 rads outside will give the best performance (sometimes not by a deal)

#4 I know some of the swiftech blocks have different backplates you can order to change the mounting between Quads and I7`s

#5 makes little difference... thicker walled stuffs less prone to kink.

:welcome: to the forums....

excuse me my curries ready :)

I know the cheapest rads are Ts but whats the fun in that:bday:. By pumps that are 800+ your referring to? Any good suggestions? The 300 is the rough estimate but I got more(but not enough to go all out) My case is usually cooler then the room temp so I'll see about the placement of the rads. Any recommendations to w cool ram? Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice muddocktor, I will definitely go with the Swiftech Apogee XT( it seems to be the most recommended). With the res I don't know what I want since I can be flashy for the same price as not flashy. Will that pump you referred to be enough for future addons?

Attachments

• tn_IMG_2208.JPG
    tn_IMG_2208.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 405
  • tn_IMG_2207.JPG
    tn_IMG_2207.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Yeah, the MCP355 is a pretty powerful pump, especially mated to that res top. And I have my res top/355 mounted in a HAF922, which is a shorter version of your case. I mounted the res top/pump at the bottom of the case toward the front side, in front of the psu. It is easily filled with a small funnel there.

And most vid card blocks aren't real restrictive, so it shouldn't make a big difference in coolant flow. As for watercooling the ram, that isn't necessary with the case you are using because it does have good airflow. And watercooling ram doesn't gain much, if any greater stability or higher overclocks.

COOL hehe.. muddocktor have you or anyone else heard anything about the Thermaltake AquaBay M1 2U 5.25" Dual Reservoir / Flow Meter? An is it better to install the pump above or below the CPU(does it even matter)? Thanks again you guys are a lot of help I was starting to feel hopeless.

you want your pump situated somewhere below the reservoir prefferably with a straight feed into the top of the pump. So it primes easy and doesnt run the pump dry when you fill up the loop.

the 932 fits a triple rad easily internally at the top, with push/pull 120x38mm fans.

My questions are,
1. How big of a reservoir do I need (that will be sufficient for future addons to the system?

Neither the size, nor absence or presence of a rez, has any effect on performance (other than flow restriction, see below).

2. How many L/hour should my pump .. pump?

More than a gallon per minute for high performance. Don't be confused by l/Hr ratings. That's how much the pump will deliver when pumping into zero restriction. You need to know the flow rate the pump will deliver when it's pumping into the restrictions of your block(s), Rad, Rez, and tubing runs.
Here's some charts that show:
Restriction of a block at various flow rates.
Flow rates of a pump ar various restrictions.

ApogeeXT_PD-vs-FR.png

mcp355-32_SMALL.PNG

3. For my type of case should I still run the rads outside of the case?

That's more of an aesthetics and how much work do you want to do question.

5. What size of tubing should I use?

At least 7/16" ID.

If you havn't found them yet, you should do a lot of reading here Martin's Liquid Lab and Skinnee Labs

And here's some info on rads

Last edited:
So much info!
@Bobby, that makes a lot of sense. I got the space for that too.

@dyckah I will keep that in mind but I was thinking of going with 2 2x120mm rads.

@billb, what a mass of info I love those calculators in that website. Now I think I'm ready to try this out! I can't believe how much of this is common sense...and here I thought I had it! Using smaller tubing to increase flow rate, let gravity save your pump by placing a res above it. For the rad placement I'm all in for the work, but I would like to make it flashy too, so I'll have to see. I'm thinking of mounting them on the top inside where my 240mm fan is but I hate to remove that, it accounts for most of the air exiting the case.

Thank you guys I'll keep posting my progress and I'll make sure to show the finished piece! Thanks again.

COOL hehe.. muddocktor have you or anyone else heard anything about the Thermaltake AquaBay M1 2U 5.25" Dual Reservoir / Flow Meter? An is it better to install the pump above or below the CPU(does it even matter)? Thanks again you guys are a lot of help I was starting to feel hopeless.

stay away from anything Thermal take, they love mixed metals (copper and aluminum) that bay res is all aluminum.

the location of the pump doesn't make a big difference but you generally speaking want it the lowest point in the loop so there is always water going to it. running your pump dry is a major no no.

had a quick look and im not sure which product you mean.

xspc - http://www.xspc.biz/reservoirs.php (ignore there cylinder res stuff its alu... also part time dirty metal mixers)

danger-den - http://www.dangerden.com/store/bay-style-reservoirs/

heres a list in progress for a whole bunch of brands & models - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629928

never used a bay res myself so im not very opinionated about them :)

TTT.gif ttparty.gif bluey.gif watdis2.gif
(Another incredably busy sunday well spent... is it mid day siesta time yet?)

Last edited:
LOVE the smileys!!

had a quick look and im not sure which product you mean.

xspc - http://www.xspc.biz/reservoirs.php (ignore there cylinder res stuff its alu... also part time dirty metal mixers)

danger-den - http://www.dangerden.com/store/bay-style-reservoirs/

heres a list in progress for a whole bunch of brands & models - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629928

never used a bay res myself so im not very opinionated about them :)

View attachment 79546View attachment 79545View attachment 79548View attachment 79547
(Another incredably busy sunday well spent... is it mid day siesta time yet?)

I'm referring to this type http://www.xoxide.com/primochill-typhoon-repack-reservoir-uvgreenblack.html not this one in particular but along the lines

looks good to me.

looks like theres a third barb hole so you can lead a fill port up and out to somewhere handy.

That bay res is OK, but what about the one I linked you to? It also mounts the MCP355 pump integral with it, simplifying bleeding the pump and cleaning up the layout in your case. Also, those single bay res units like you are looking at there can be cast iron ******* to bleed the air out of your system with too and tend to just entrain the air. Go with at least a dual bay res if you want a bay reservoir.

i agree with muddoc stay well away from single bay resivoirs rlly the best thing to get is something like the tube style resivoirs from ek or koolance or the swiftec res works well to

Back