• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which DDR3 for i5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Auric

Registered
Which of these G.Skill 1.35V models (newegg) are best suited to the i5-650 (but also allow for other 1156 CPU)? Would you opt for the 1333 CL7? Spend more for the 1600?

Definitely spend the extra 10 and get the 1600. If you ever start to do any overclocking you will be memory limited possible with just 1333 mhz.

^ That would actually most likely be a really good kit when starting to overclock. Being able to operate at 1600mhz at 1.35 volts means there is most likely quite a bit of room left to overclock it.

well in a lot of cases eco is used for things that are slower, like say a caviar green. is this the case with the gskill ram or is it simply more efficient.

These sticks more than likely just have IC's that have been tested and known to work at the specified frequencies at that low of a voltage or they could also be much higher mhz rated IC's that can handle 1600mhz no sweat with the reduced voltage.

well in a lot of cases eco is used for things that are slower, like say a caviar green. is this the case with the gskill ram or is it simply more efficient.

Having it run at a lower voltage is a benefit. I haven't seen any benchmarks for how these particular ECO kits perform so I can't comment on that. However, the timings are very similar to most 1.5-1.65v kits, so I don't think it should be an issue.

Fortunately, I got the 1600 CL7 before the prices increased. The lower power (and thus system heat and strain on the controller) are appealing but at some point the premium may not be worth it.

There is a lower priced 1.3V 1600 CL8 kit from Geil @ $112 shipped versus $115 and $120 plus shipping for G.Skill CL8 and CL7. The latter do include heat sinks though (fruity looking as they may be).

Otherwise, there are plenty of 1600 kits with higher latency and voltage $80-90.

Back