• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new asus board, which one? or suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tanderson

Registered
im looking for an asus rampage extreme/formula, anyone know a good place to pick one up at? or recommend another good 775 socket board?

Imo, you'd be paying about the same price for the Extreme(x48 chipset/ddr3 ram) as for a 1156 mb/cpu combo,if you have a Fry's Electronics near by.
I would suggest going 1156 if you're short of funds or 1366 if not.
But if you are looking for a 775 upgrade then this is a good one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358
You won't have to buy ram either.
Is there a reason why another 775 board?

reason is i mainly want crossfire and dont wanna upgrade my motherboard and cpu at the moment. ill wait till march or summer.
thanks for the reply ill check the board right now but think i found an asus rampage formula for 165 used. ill see how that turns out

reason is i mainly want crossfire and dont wanna upgrade my motherboard and cpu at the moment. ill wait till march or summer.
thanks for the reply ill check the board right now but think i found an asus rampage formula for 165 used. ill see how that turns out

I recommend the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo if you're still using a 775 CPU.

I put my Q9650 in one of those and it works fine! It supports Xfire and there are two slots between the PCI Express slots so there is a little extra room in there for airflow to the Video Card. (look at the Scythe Musashi review on the front page of www.overclockers.com for pics of the motherboard in my case with 2 ATI Radeon 4870s with the Scythe Musashi heatsinks on them)

Additionally, it has Matrix RAID support because of the ICH10R chip, and mine really overclocks well. (hit 4275MHz on my Q9650)

It's $120 right now at Newegg and I ordered a second one just this morning for another system I have.

forgot to add that if you're worried about performance of dual x8s instead of dual x16s, I managed over 23k in 3dMark06 with a pair of 4870s so, performance-wise, there isn't much of a hit at all.

Back