• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual/triple channel question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

87dtna

I found a good deal on a triple channel memory kit and I eventually may want to get an I7 920 rig, but right now I'm just running an I5. My question is, if I buy a triple channel memory kit 3x2gb can I just install 2x2gb on the I5 rig and will it run dual channel on my I5 setup now?

Depends on the voltage of the RAM. If the triple channel kit has the same voltage rating that your motherboard needs it should be ok.

*edit* might want to wait for more responses tho just in case.

If your I5 Mobo is rated to run 1.65v RAM and the Ram you are looking at buying is rated to run at 1.65v or less, then yes, it will be just fine.
You can pick any two of the three sticks and pop them in. It's nice to have an extra, and of course can be used with a triple channel board later.

If I were you, I'd list the RAM you are looking at buying. That way we can see for sure.
And don't forget, voltage is not the only thing that has to be compatible. Some RAM will just not work in certain mobos.
Google search for any threads containing the mobo and the RAM just to make sure there aren't known conflicts.

Of course. It's still the same RAM only they've been matched and tested in 3's instead of 2's.

Back