• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P55 (i7 860) XP, no EIST & Turbo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monographix

Registered
Hello

i have setup a new rig on an ECS P55H-A s1156 with an i7 860 on it, running XP32. EIST and Turbo and C1E are enabled in bios and power scheme in XP is "minimal power management" but the CPUZ reports constant clock of 2.8 Ghz and constant 2.16 voltage and constant 21 mutiplier, all on idle state. I test run orthos full load on a single core and the clocks didnt increase either.

Any ideas?
Thank you

http://www.pctechnology.gr/vbull/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=26222&d=1263168308

What exactly is it you want to do? The i7 860 default clock is 2.8Ghz. I'm confused here :shrug:

Your board might be reporting the wrong voltage as 2.1v for the cpu is unheard of.

ooops sorry, confused and typo, its ofcourse not 2.16. it just holds the stable default value. What i am trying to do is to have SpeedStep (EIST) and Turbo to be working. If EIST was working, the CPU clock should had been something like 1.4Ghz on idle, reduced to that by EIST using half the multiplier (9-10 lets say) . At least thats what CPUZ has been reporting with my previous Q6600 / P35.

And using a single core at full load (Orthos) i suppose i should see CPU clock raising above 2.8, if i understood right how Turbo works ?

Doesn't work that way. What it will do is drop the multi, not drop the cores. So for example: if default multi is 9 with EIST/C1E/SpeedStep is enabled, then @ idle the multi will drop to 6. You will still have 4 cores running, but at a lower multi. This will reduce speed/power consumption & temps.

If you disable Turbo Mode (HT), then it will only run 4 threads instead of 8.

- thats what i am saying too. There's no multi drop at idle, like it used to with my Q6600. Multi remains the same constantly.

- i thought HyperThread and Turbo are different and independent things doing different functions. Btw i tested Turbo disabled and the threads were still there (8 cores count). Turbo is supposed to raise clocks on all cores at full load but with all cores active it is rather a not even noticeable in most cases increase, but with one core only active its where the most noticeable overclock would take place. If i got right what i read so far that is ofcourse

- VT is related to Virtualisation

Last edited:
Hmm, odd. How about clearing cmos by removing the battery on the mobo and resetting everything to their defaults? Maybe this will help.

Also do you have the latest bios for that board?

I have an ECS P55H-A.

CPU-Z won't read the correct cpu speed unless the BIOS are updated. (v012610)

- thats what i am saying too. There's no multi drop at idle, like it used to with my Q6600. Multi remains the same constantly.

- i thought HyperThread and Turbo are different and independent things doing different functions. Btw i tested Turbo disabled and the threads were still there (8 cores count). Turbo is supposed to raise clocks on all cores at full load but with all cores active it is rather a not even noticeable in most cases increase, but with one core only active its where the most noticeable overclock would take place. If i got right what i read so far that is ofcourse

- VT is related to Virtualisation

Turbo works by added a bonus x1 multiplier to one core only thats all turbo does, if you have HT (Hyper Threading) enabled, this will appear as being added to two cores.

Now as for the EIST, C! etc, you have minimal power management set in windows, try setting to power saver or balanced as you would with a laptop.

Back