• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are memory timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

i know its a stupid question but i never heard about them before i joined this forum, i dont know what the numbers mean and what are they?

Stop posting crap like this. It isn't helpful and it isn't nice.

OP: You can think of memory timings like reaction time. The timings are usually split into sub sections (think 4-4-4-12), the first is the most important; CAS timing. Think of it this way, the memory runs at 800mhz, with a timings of CAS 4, the memory will be able to read and write data every 4 cycles. Smaller timings will increase throughput, but put more stress on the chips. Larger timings will decrease throughput, but put less stress on the chips.

Last edited:
so when someone says "loosen" your timings they mean turn the numbers up.. 8-8-8-24 etc. Usually the #s on the chips when you buy them are their standard timings, but can usually be tightened up (lower numbers)

Right. To loosen timings are to make the numbers HIGHER. To tighten them is to lower. The timings are based off clock cycles. So every 5 clock cycles, Tras would be refreshed for example. So if you lower it to 4, it will refresh every 4 clock cycles. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

I don't think I did anything wrong...?
It's showing him that he can find the answers using google so next time he might not need to create a thread like this.

I don't think I did anything wrong...?
It's showing him that he can find the answers using google so next time he might not need to create a thread like this.
He came here asking for help, so my guess is he didn't know where to start. Yes, he could have probably searched, but pointing someone to Google is extremely rude and unhelpful.

Take a look at my first post: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461363

Something that I easily could have looked up through a search, but I didn't know what to search for. If I would have got "just google it" responses, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't be here today.

He came here asking for help, so my guess is he didn't know where to start. Yes, he could have probably searched, but pointing someone to Google is extremely rude and unhelpful.

Take a look at my first post: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461363

Something that I easily could have looked up through a search, but I didn't know what to search for. If I would have got "just google it" responses, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't be here today.
Putting it nicely.

thats what these forums are for .. to help others with there questions .. wonder what would happen to the forums if we just pointed everyone to google :rolleyes:

Back