• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P55 or X58?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prime

So im thinking about building a new setup soon and i was wondering if saving 50$ with p55 is worth it compared to "future-proofing" with an X58 board.

Thoughts?

I'd go x58, you get full crossfire for whenever that becomes important, as well as access to higher end CPUs.

+1 x58 P55 is limited to 1 16x PCIe or 2 8x PCIe while X58 don't have that. X58 can do tri channel RAM for better bandwidth. Also x58 can do hexacore i9 when that comes out, p55 is more for low to mid range with cheap i3 to i7 and I don't think Intel has any plan to make socket 1156 i9 at all. Having an i9 in a P55 board would be like having a Mack engine in a Pinto body.

P55 if u don't need all that multi-processing. Otherwise X58. 2 PCIEX16 stolts 2.0 X8 will not hinder crossfire performance more then a few % even with a beasts like 5870's. But look for a P55 mobo that actually can deliver X8 on it's 2nd PCIEX16 slot. For GigaByte those boards are labeled UD4 and higher (UD5, UD6, ...)

This seemed like a rehashing of the X38 P35 dilemma I had back a while ago. I upgraded to P45 after thinking I wasted my money on the X38 and later realized I was much more unhappy with the cons of the P45 chipset. Hence, now I am on the X58 path.

This seemed like a rehashing of the X38 P35 dilemma I had back a while ago. I upgraded to P45 after thinking I wasted my money on the X38 and later realized I was much more unhappy with the cons of the P45 chipset. Hence, now I am on the X58 path.

hmm... I dun like generalizing things. You should have concrete reasons behind your advice to him. Most users, including me, will not use 8 threads, not to say 12 on i9, for some time to come. In that case I see investing in X58 a waste of money. Not all ppl are enthusiast who have to have the latest and greatest.

X58 is going to hands down give you more power, especially down the road - so it really comes down to what you want to spend. Depending on what you going to be doing primarily with your computer, and 1156 could be a great alternative.

Sorry to be more specific, my main reason for the switch was the absence of support for 2 x16 pcie 2.0 lanes for crossfire (even though I cannot currently afford it). Most recently it was because I wanted the available options to go to the latest and greatest when it comes available if I so choose without switching out the mobo.

I was going to hop on the p55 path, but the power mongering abilities of x58 is what drew me in :)

Still need more parts tho heh.

Back