• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Watercooled setup / i7 950 & HD5970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

waMod

Hi Guys

I'm new to the watercooling scene and would like some advice before I order all the parts for my build, If I am missing any components please let me know

I plan on going with the:
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Chassis

This is a great water-cooled edition of the new Corsair Obsidian case! Highlights of the case are a full dual loop setup ready and raring to go! We include Two of the best radiators on the market, the XSPC RX120's for cooling the CPU and chipsets. Then we include a triple XSPC RX360 on top to cool your GPU's. The dual loop is cleverly constructed using the awesome XSPC Dual DDC Bay Res and we include two of the best Danger Den 18 Watt DDC pumps to initiate a high flow, low noise environment. High performance Alphacool Yellowstone CPU block in red/black colors (optional Swiftech Apogee XT) makes this an attractive and great cooling case! Finishing this great looking case is some great looking Primochill UV Red tubing along with Black Anti-kink springs, as well as we used all new Bitspower black matte fittings to keep the interior that "all black" look. The color theme is perfect for all those gorgeous looking new eVGA 1156/1366 motherboards. This case is ready to fill and use and includes the following parts and full install:

* (2) Danger Den/Laing DDC 3.25 -12V 18 Watt Version
* (2) XSPC RX120 Extreme Performance Radiator
* XSPC RX360 Extreme Performance Radiator
* (3) Cooler Master High Performance R4 120mm Red LED Fans
* (2)Bitspower Plastic Fan Adapter 120mm to 140mm - Black
* (12) Bitspower Premium G1/4" High Flow 1/2" Fitting - Black Matte Finish
* (3) Bitspower G 1/4" Rotary 45 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter - Black Matte Finish
* XSPC Premium Laing Dual DDC Clear Acrylic Top
* XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Dual Laing DDC
* XSPC M20 x1.5mm to G1/4" Fillcap Adapter
* Alphacool HF 14 Yellowstone B/R/B Socket 775/1366/1156 Ultimate CPU Water Block
* PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD
* PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - Black
* Anti-Kink Coil Size 3/4" will fit 3/4in O.D. Tubing

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26505

Hardware:

Intel lga1366 i7 950 - Quad core
Corsair TR3X6G1600C8 , XMS 3 , with heatsink , 3 x 2Gb
ASUS P6T-WS Professional
Asus HD5970
zalman ZM1000-HP : 1000w PSU
OCZ Vertex 2 Pro SSD
Danger Den DD-5970 Water Block for ATI Radeon 5970

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26936

Any advice on the chassis / watercooling setup / Hardware specs?

I don't know about that case but it's over a grand. You could get any decent looking case and WC kit (or assemble from parts) for a lot less than a grand. You could get a decent water pump. CPU block, radiator, reservoir, and all necessary hardware for about $300 to $400. A full tower case that can have internal radiator could be found found for about $100 and up depending on quality of the case.

My NZXT Tempest case for example can have most 2x120 radiator mounted on the top under the built in 2x 140mm fans, and that case set me back about $125 a couple years ago. This case also have 2 holes in the back for any external WC hookup.

There are plenty of other options for water cooling that won't cost over a grand and still be as good, if not a lot better, than some pre-assembled kits.

Ha ha!
For $1,125.00 you could build a phase change system!

Way, way to much money.

The $1100 buys much more than just the case (normally ~$300)... he's getting an entire wc setup with it. 2 pumps, 3 rads... it's pretty loaded.

Individually, you could almost definitely acquire the same components for less money - but the full install might make this a worthwhile purchase. If your time is worth the markup, go for it. The components aren't horrible by any means.

It's a sweet setup for sure. The components if installed and ready to mount might be worth the money to some people. It's a LOT of money for what you get, at least $400 more than the sum of it's parts. Two 120x1 rads for the CPU and Mobo cooling? If your a big overclocker and have high ambient summer temps it might not be enough rad. The 360 should go for the CPU/mosfets and the GPU should use the two 120x1 rads. If your going for TWO of those GPUs, you'll need more rad than 2 x 120x1.

And for sure pick the XT CPU block over the alphacool one.

Back