• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X58 Pro-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorlain

Has anyone had any experience with this board? I'd like to go ahead and pick this up for the i7 920 rig I'm speccing out.

I'm having a heck of a time deciding between 920 and 860... But, meh. I have the itch.

Basically, I'm looking for a board that I can push to the limits on air (Man, I still need to find a decent cooler that I'm willing to pay for), and, unfortunately, I need to tighten the budget the best I can.

Anyone have any opinions on this board?

the board can definatly do 4.0ghz on a i7 920 quite easy - and thats pretty much the limit on air (well it is on my megahalems)

deciding betwen the 920 and the 860? - i would definatly say go for the 920 :) i love mine :)

also most boards out there can do an i7 at 4.0 - i ended up getting the ex58 extreme hoping i could push my 920 super far, but on air 4.0 is really the limit, and there is not really much need for a super high end board

Anyone have any idea what the vdroop on this board is like? I had found a review that made it look gross... But I can't find it again to read a little further into it. If I recall it looked like it was dropping about .15v from idle to load.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'd really like to go with a 920, but trying to fit a 1366 motherboard into the budget, along with triple channel memory is just a headache. :)

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions on a motherboard near the $200 mark?

i just picked one up msi x58 pro help with my oc please

Hi guys im sorta new to ocing stuff be my first time i just got a msi x58 pro e board i would liek to oc my i7 920 to about 3.4 -3.6 or watever would be most stble for 24/7 use
specs are
msi x58-pro-e
patriot 1600 ddr3
prolimatech megahalems heatsink with 1x120mm fan
radeon 5870
core i7 920
900w thermaltake

can u guys help please i need simple help not to up to scrath on all the multiplier and fsb settings so as simple as can be would be nice

my mobo does have something called oc genie how far can that push it

Shucks. Looks like it sold before I had a chance to jump on it. :)

Thanks, though!

MSI X58 Pro-E board and I7 920 (best bang for buck) works well. My only issue is the high IOH temps. (can be fixed)
Stable OC to 3.80 using OC switch on board and tweak in BIOS. Probably could get higher but I'm NOT an OC fundi.
Cooled with Corsair H50. 65C max. Running Ubuntu and F@H Bigadv
Only had them for a couple of weeks running 24/7 but no real complaints.

MSI X58 Pro-E board and I7 920 (best bang for buck) works well. My only issue is the high IOH temps. (can be fixed)
Stable OC to 3.80 using OC switch on board and tweak in BIOS. Probably could get higher but I'm NOT an OC fundi.
Cooled with Corsair H50. 65C max. Running Ubuntu and F@H Bigadv
Only had them for a couple of weeks running 24/7 but no real complaints.

I'm surprised you're able to use the OC switch. I tried on mine but, all I got was instabilities. I went with the tried and true bios oc and can get 4.2-4.3Ghz no sweat. Settled on 4.0Ghz for 24/7 use.

I'm surprised you're able to use the OC switch. I tried on mine but, all I got was instabilities. I went with the tried and true bios oc and can get 4.2-4.3Ghz no sweat. Settled on 4.0Ghz for 24/7 use.

Nebulous, I've got the exact same setup (MSI x58 Pro-E & i7 920) but I'm real new to overclocking. Can you give me step by step instructions for tweaking the bios to get 4.Ghz like you? Todd

Back