• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI X38-T2RB not reading multiplier correctly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theflyingrat

I've got my brother's brother-in-law's PC at my home. He was reporting less-than-stellar gameplay in Mu and Crysis, so I figure I'd have a look at it.

Firstly, I noticed that CrossfireX on his HD 4850 X2 wasn't enabled, so I enabled that. Seems to be fine, so that may have solved one issue.

His CPU, though, doesn't seem to be properly detected by the BIOS on this board. The CPU is a Q8300 - it should be a 333/2.5GHz CPU. Windows and 3DMark detect the CPU as a Q8300, with the proper default speeds shown. However, CPU-Z, OCCT, and the BIOS screen all show it as using the default multiplier of 7, effectively giving us a 2333MHz Q8200. The only multiplier options given in BIOS are for 6 and 7; the correct 7.5 simply isn't an option.

The BIOS is the latest 12/24/08 one; if anyone's familiar with this board, could this problem possibly be solved with an older BIOS?

Is there not a separate setting to add the 0.5 to the multiplier? My UD3P BIOS has a "Fine CPU Clock Ratio" setting where you can add 0.5

I wouldn't think an older BIOS would help you, is there a beta BIOS?

Here's an interesting one.

I cleared the CMOS (again) after several failed attempts at overclocking the CPU up to its spec speed. Lo and behold, a BIOS option came up as "CPU N/2 Ratio" or some such. When it was enabled, the 7.5 multiplier came up. Go figure. So yes, MattNo5ss, it was such a switch.

As a side note, this motherboard is a rubbish overclocker for 45nm CPUs. I'm sure any of you guys that currently have P45/X48 boards could have told me than an X38 wouldn't work so well, but really... wow.

2.5GHz achieved. Thanks a lot, fellas! Now we'll see what other damage we can do to this thing. Still can't get Quadfire to work, as the PC was originally purchased by my brother to use TWO HD 4850 X2s. No love so far... still hammering away at it, though!

Back