• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planing future WC setup. Swiftech stackables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prime

So im planing a setup and im going to have an i5 and a next gen nVidia card when it comes out (hopefully it dosnt get pushed back again!) SO i was looking at the Swiftech all in one and you cant really mount it horizontally without having a reservoir above above it so it might not really be worth it.

So i was thinking about the stackable ones since i have room constraints, im building a custom case. My question is are the stackable ones efficient enought to deal with a cpu and gpu in one full loop?

thanks for the info/advice you guys are great :)

what size rad are you planning on?

stacking isn't a good thing for the most part. you can get some gains, but you should know that it's best to stack with fans on each side. eg. fan|rad|fan|rad|fan.

if your building a custom case, why not make room for more rad?

because im going by a strict size, i was thinking the 120x2 rad

and the rads will be going below the optical drive horizontally

When you stack, doubling the thickness of the cooling core (by adding a second one) only adds 40% or so cooling power. Less then half the additional cooling power of the same radiator in a non-stacked setup.

Here is the poop. Unless your going to sacrifice your hearing with really HS 38mm thick fans to run the neat Swiftech stackable rads please look at other cooling methods. Understand the heatload and decide on your final use of your rig. Noise and great temps? Or be able to watch a movie on the PC without headsets to get rid of the fans screaming.

In general terms I can put it this way. Two MCR 220 rads in sandwich with nice quiet 1000 RPM fans is equal to a MCR 220 rad.

Even with fast HS high pressure fans you have to account for the warmer air hitting the second rad. The DT temps get complicated.

A first build? Stacked MCR rads? Sure but do your homework, don't expect a quiet rig.

Hmm. Mount the MCR pump/res rad vertical and get another MCR for somewhere else in the case for a series setup. Gabe did it well in a Cosmos 1000 case. BTW he's the CEO of the rad company your looking at.

Hopefully your not working in a vaccum and reading many more posts here on a daily basis. In fact a few months ago (6) at at xtreme systems there was MUCH discussion on the stackable rads from Swiftech.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6364459#post6364459 Read the thread.

It's at XS, you have to find it, it's such a busy place.

Last edited:
Back