• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram and memtest question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therealdkc

Registered
Hey everyone, I bought some g.skill pc8500 recently and running memtest86.

My board is a ga-ep45-ud3p and when I had all four 2gb sticks in I got memtest errors. Then I put one stick only and got errors...then I tried two sticks in single channel and got no errors but in dual channel I got errors right away.

What are the odds all four sticks are no good....or should I be looking at my board instead?

Did not do any overclocking. All settings were on auto. Vdimm showed 2.08 and ratio of 5:8. Timings showed properly.

8GB of ram ehh? Maybe it doesnt like that multiplier its on to run at 1066. Try dropping it down to DDR2 800 and see if it works. 8GB of ram will put more stress on the NB as well.

8GB of ram ehh? Maybe it doesnt like that multiplier its on to run at 1066. Try dropping it down to DDR2 800 and see if it works. 8GB of ram will put more stress on the NB as well.

Well I've also gotten errors only running 4gb in dual channel mode but for whatever reason it does 3 passes fine with 4gb in single channel mode.

How are you running 4GB in single channel mode? Putting it in odd slots?

I would just test each stick individually if you have not done that already to make sure they pass at their rated speed and timings.

Did not do any overclocking. All settings were on auto. Vdimm showed 2.08 and ratio of 5:8. Timings showed properly.

It's wiser to set your Vdimm and timings manually in your BIOS, no overclocks then test from there. Are you testing from a boot disk (Memtest86 V2.11)rather than in Windows? It appears you are using Windows because Memtest86 2.11 doesn't show your voltage and ratios.

It's wiser to set your Vdimm and timings manually in your BIOS, no overclocks then test from there. Are you testing from a boot disk (Memtest86 V2.11)rather than in Windows? It appears you are using Windows because Memtest86 2.11 doesn't show your voltage and ratios.

I'm using memtest86 v4. Voltages taken from cpuz. My voltage range is apparently 2-2.1 so what should I set it at?

I'm using memtest86 v4. Voltages taken from cpuz. My voltage range is apparently 2-2.1 so what should I set it at?

Looks like we have the same RAMs. I'm set at 2.025v BIOS but anywhere in the factory recommendations should be ok. Median setting should be fine too (2.05v). My timings are also set manually at default (5-5-5-15) and the RAMs aren't maxed by any means as you can see.

It's safer to run memory tests from a boot fisk. Failed RAM tests while in your operating system could corrupt it.

I've only ever run from cdrom bootdisk. I will try to do all manual settingd and see what happens thanks for all the input

Okay so I just ran all four sticks with no errors on a full pass using manual set timings of 5-5-5-15, manual mch latch 333mhz and manual multiplier to make the ram run @ 800mhz. I guess my question now is why would it have a problem running at 1066 if that's what the ram is rated for? I tried running the same settings except @ 1066 using vdimm of 2.04, 2.06, 2.08 and 2.1 and still had errors everytime on test 5.

Running 8 gigs of ram places a bigger load on the memory controller/northbridge than running 4 gigs. Try bumping up your cpunb voltage a little and see if it helps.

Okay so I just ran all four sticks with no errors on a full pass using manual set timings of 5-5-5-15, manual mch latch 333mhz and manual multiplier to make the ram run @ 800mhz. I guess my question now is why would it have a problem running at 1066 if that's what the ram is rated for? I tried running the same settings except @ 1066 using vdimm of 2.04, 2.06, 2.08 and 2.1 and still had errors everytime on test 5.

Try running two sticks @ 1066 at their default timing and voltage. Four sticks can be an overclockers nightmare for the reasons stated by Arkan. Your vdimm is fine. You won't see many here with four sticks of RAM in their sigs running good overclocks.

Back