• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loop Upgrade Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Hey

I currently have a MCR220, MCP655, and an Apogee on my E8600 @ 4.0+. I am using 1/2" barbs and 7/16" tubing. I just got my 2nd 4890 and 2 MCW60-4870 blocks for each video card. If I add a 2nd MCR220 & both GPU blocks, will the single MCP655 be able to keep up or should I go with 2 pumps/loops? Is a 4x120 rad less restrictive than 2 2x120 rads?

Thx

your pump will handle it plenty fine.

and yes a 420 is less restrictive then 2x 220's. but not by anything to worry about.

The restriction part of the waterblocks don't worry me about a single loop and your 655, but I don't think your cooling will be too good for the cpu with just adding a double fan rad to the loop along with 2 4890 vid cards. That is some very serious heat dump you are adding to the loop. I think you will need to add a triple or a quad rad to the loop, along with your present double.

To add to what mudd has said, the MCP655 (D5) is a very strong pump. I have read about people running a single MCP655, with a couple of triple rads, and some fairly restrictive blocks, with no issues. I do think you may need quite a bit more rad than another double, as I have read of people using 2 triples for a similar setup to what you have. Some might think that is under radding, and others might think it's over radding, but I think a triple with your double may be ok.

i agree with conumdrum. if you want more wiggle room you could get a double deep 120x2 like a thermochill or feser. but frankly i dont think it would be worth it. mind you who am i to speak i have a 3x120 and 2 1x120's for a phenom 2 and 2 4890's

A 120x4 or another 120x2 would be enough. Your CPU isn't that hot of a chip. I would expect a bit higher CPU temps with the second GPU. You for sure need more rad.

His present chip might not be a big heatload right now, but what about the future? And if he just replaces his present double fan rad with a quad or he just adds another double rad to his loop along with the massive heat dump of 2 4890 vid cards, his cpu temps will be much higher than present. According to his first post, presently he only has the cpu in his loop, without his present 4890 being watercooled. That's why I am saying he needs to add a triple or even a quad rad to his loop, in addition to his present double. Otherwise I think he will be very unsatisfied with cpu temps with a lesser rad addition.

I think I'll be looking for a 480 rad so I'll have a little room for growth. Before moving to i9 I will most likely get a Q9x50 at some point. So do you think my 240 & a 480 would carry a Quad Core with a pair of HD4890's?

By the time I go i9 it seems to me now I will need to swap the 240 out for a 2nd 480. lol

Thanks for the advice & suggestions. :)

A good thumb rule are 1x120mm/block
I'm using GTX260 3-way SLi, Heatkiller 3.0, NB block and are using 1x360, 1x120, 1x140.
That keeps my water down to 30degree celcius on gaming with fans on 2/3 of the speed and amblient temp 23degree celcius.

Back