• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

240 Rad on back of Antec 1200? Possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infected_

im thinking on switching to wc.. i would like know if i can place a black-ice gts lite 240 rad into the back of the case, where the exhaust for the 2 inside fans are, without using spacers...
That way i would place 4 fans in push-pusll, 2 inside the case and 2 outside with the rad.
Also im thinking of the danger den typhoon 1x 5" 1/2 bay reservoir. cpu block was thinking of the EK-Supreme Plexi. The pump i still have some doubts. the mcp350 is a little expensive, but its a bet. the fans i was thinking of buying another 2x noiseblocker multiframe s3hs (already have two) and place then in push-pull.
i dont know anything about tubes, dimensions and the "plugs"... :rolleyes:

Anyone have any suggestion? i would like the best performance possible, without spending a lot of money.. And the placement in the back of the case is worrying me too..

Thanks,

infected_

Im getting deja vu. Someone just asked this question...

Yes! :)

Though using the warmer than ambient air inside the case to cool the rad isnt the "best performance possible". Ambient is as good as it will get.

I wouldn't worry about the air being drawn out of the back side of the case being too hot with the Antec 1200 case, ED. That case has excellent airflow in it.

I know...I owned that case prior to the Obsidian. The difference between ambient and that exhause with my system was 3C.

I wouldnt worry either, but he asked for best possible. That isnt as its warmer than ambient. ;)

Hmm, a server version of the i7 920 basically. I guess your gonna be overclocking it a lot? How are your summer room temps?

The reason is that that chip needs at a minimum a 120x2 rad. And a good one at that. The rad you choose is a older model and well eclipsed by other rads.

It also has a VERY high fins per inch. 30 FPI! Thats a LOT. Meaning you'll need some really HS fans, and probably 38mm thick to get the rad to perform well. or some fast quality 25mm thick fans in push pull like you mentioned.

I hate to say it, it's very hard to get top performance and keep costs down. Might need to rethink a bit.

For example, look at the temp difference between your chosen block and the Swiftech XT.
Your block
http://vapor.skinneelabs.com/i7/Round2/EK/R2i7Supremes.html
The XT
http://vapor.skinneelabs.com/i7/Round2/XT/R2i7XT.html

For the same exact setup, there is over 5C difference on the resultant CPU temps. Something to consider since your kinda weak in the rad department with what you chose as a rad.

I know you want to go internal I think, but you might consider a 120x3 rad with some more normal quiet fans.

but the swiftech is a lot more expensive... i would like to spend the least money possible, but having the best performance.. but if the cpu block is so important ill we willing to buy the swiftech...

edit: about the rad... what about the radiador Black Ice GTX-Lite 240?

Last edited:
Back