• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

task manager only shows 4gb when there are 6gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elliotuk

Registered
Built a new system, Asus P6T, core -7-920, 6gb dominator ram, windows 7.

In cpuz it shows all 3x2gb of my ram, but in task manager it only shows 4gb. If i take out one stick so there are 4gb in there it shows 2gb, I have tried swapping around the sticks and changing the slots but always the same. Also have run memtest overnight with no errors.

Any help appreciated!

First thing, you have Win7 x64 right?

If you do, then you can try going to Run > type "msconfig" > Boot Tab > Advanced Options... > What does the "Maximum Memory" setting look like?

If i take out one stick so there are 4gb in there it shows 2gb
This sounds like you don't have one completely in the slot. Remove and install all the RAM modules and make sure they are all the way in.

First thing, you have Win7 x64 right?

If you do, then you can try going to Run > type "msconfig" > Boot Tab > Advanced Options... > What does the "Maximum Memory" setting look like?

yes its x64, did what u said and "maximum memory" was unchecked.....when I checked the box the maximum number it let me put in was 4096. i have swapped around the sticks and taken them in and out of the slots numerous times but it makes no difference, still says 4gb in msconfig and task manager, but 6gb in cpuz :/

I take it the BIOS doesn't see the RAM either? have you tried a bios update? If the hardware cant see the RAM the software sure as heck wont ;)

yes its x64, did what u said and "maximum memory" was unchecked.....when I checked the box the maximum number it let me put in was 4096. i have swapped around the sticks and taken them in and out of the slots numerous times but it makes no difference, still says 4gb in msconfig and task manager, but 6gb in cpuz :/

Did you try setting the max to 6144MB?

no bent pins! maybe one of the mobo ram slots is faulty?

Definitely a possibility. Just use one stick and try each slot individually to check.

More then one forum person has had a dead slot on an i7 board do exactly what you're describing. It's not what i would call common by any means, but it definitely happens.

ok ive tried just using 1 stick and it only seems to work in slots 1,2, and 6. If I put the stick in slots 3,4,5 then it wont even post. Is it meant to work so that you can put 1stick in any of the slots? I would have thought that to run just 1 stick it would need to be in slot 1 or 2? If it can run in any slot then maybe those slots are all faulty? But then if so, then why would cpuz pick up the full 6gb? :/

Yes, it should let you put one stick in any slot and POST. You may want to try booting from a Linux live CD (64bit) just to rule out Windows stupidity. Also in the BIOS, are there any settings for limiting the amount of memory visible to 32bit systems? I had a problem on an A64 where all the memory in the system wouldn't show up and it turned out to be a setting in the BIOS.

Try the troubleshooting tips HERE.

Also, what CPU cooler are you using? Heavy or over-tightened CPU coolers can warp the board a bit causing the CPU to properly contact the pins in the socket.

Try the troubleshooting tips HERE.

Also, what CPU cooler are you using? Heavy or over-tightened CPU coolers can warp the board a bit causing the CPU to properly contact the pins in the socket.

im using a megahalems with a washer mod, took the HS off and all the pins looked fine and reseated it this time with the screws not quite fully tightened so less pressure but made no difference. I also took off the overclock and set everything to default in case it was a memory voltage issue but that made no difference either.

I reinstalled windows as well but that didnt help. I think it must be faulty slots but i just dont understand why cpuz is picking up the ram :S

Back