• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard won't boot from CD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp4zZ

While I wait to RMA my Rampage Extreme, I picked up an ASUS P5B Deluxe as a temporary replacement. I flashed the BIOS to the most recent and everything looks fine, except when I try booting up the PC, it gets a BSOD as its loading windows and restarts. I figure it's because I have to reformat the harddrive and reinstall windows, but the problem I'm having also is that I can't boot anything from the cd/dvd drive, I tried the windows OS disk as well as Ubuntu.

Specs:
ASUS P5B Deluxe mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400
2gb Crucial Ballistix ram
ATI 4890

Help? :shrug:

IDE or SATA drive? Is there a timeout option? What happens if you hit F8 ("BBS Popup") and select the ODD?

IDE or SATA drive? Is there a timeout option? What happens if you hit F8 ("BBS Popup") and select the ODD?

It's an IDE drive and there is a timeout option, currently set to 35.
When I hit F8 only the HDD shows up, theres no ODD showing.

Is the cable in all the way? Is the drive on a channel by itself and jumpered to master, and plugged into the end of the IDE cable, or jumpered to slave and plugged into the middle?

Is the cable in all the way? Is the drive on a channel by itself and jumpered to master, and plugged into the end of the IDE cable, or jumpered to slave and plugged into the middle?

Yes the cable is all the in. It's jumpered to master and plugged into the end of the IDE cabled.

When I enable the Jmicron controller, it tries detect drives for awhile then I get the message "no any drive found"

Is the power plugged in? Have you tried another power cable? Did the drive work on the old motherboard? Is Windows on an IDE drive or SATA? Have you tried another IDE cable?

Yes, the power is plugged in, it's a brand new PSU but I have tried an older one.
The drive opens and closes just fine and all the lights come on. The drive worked perfectly fine on my other motherboard and I've never had problems with it. I've tried two IDE cables and still same problem.

Windows is installed on a SATA drive.

And yes it's set to IDE in the BIOS.

:temper:

Were you using your old board in IDE mode? If it was in AHCI or RAID, try setting the current board to the same. I don't see why the ICH9 driver from the old board wouldn't work with ICH8 on the current board, assuming they're set to the same interface. Only other thing to suggest is to double-check you've got the jumper set right.

Were you using your old board in IDE mode? If it was in AHCI or RAID, try setting the current board to the same. I don't see why the ICH9 driver from the old board wouldn't work with ICH8 on the current board, assuming they're set to the same interface. Only other thing to suggest is to double-check you've got the jumper set right.

Yea it was in IDE mode. I've switched it to AHCI and RAID to test it and no luck.
I even tried different jumper settings but that didn't help either.
BIOS is only detecting my sata HDD when I hit F8, but in boot priority it shows ATAPI-CD as an option.

I might as well upgrade to a SATA drive and see if that works.

You're sure the JMicron controller is enabled? If you do end up getting a new drive, I recommend this one. Very quiet, and hasn't burned a coaster yet.

Pretty obvious quesiton but is the disk your trying to boot from actually a bootable disk? If you just copied and pasted the files for linux onto a DVD then it won't boot from it, you need to write the image to the disk.

Like I said a very obvious thing but just making sure you haven't forgotten anything =)

Pretty obvious quesiton but is the disk your trying to boot from actually a bootable disk? If you just copied and pasted the files for linux onto a DVD then it won't boot from it, you need to write the image to the disk.

Like I said a very obvious thing but just making sure you haven't forgotten anything =)

When I hit F8 only the HDD shows up, theres no ODD showing.

At this point, the disc has nothing to do with the problem :)

You're sure the JMicron controller is enabled? If you do end up getting a new drive, I recommend this one. Very quiet, and hasn't burned a coaster yet.

Yea the Jmicron is enabled, when it's set to IDE, it searches and searches for disk drives, then I get the message that nothing has been found, but if it's set on RAID or AHCI, it searches for a few seconds then loads windows without any message about finding drives or what not, then of course I get the BSOD :temper::temper:

Is there a way to upgrade the drivers for the Jmicron or anything without having access to my HDD?

Yea the Jmicron is enabled, when it's set to IDE, it searches and searches for disk drives, then I get the message that nothing has been found, but if it's set on RAID or AHCI, it searches for a few seconds then loads windows without any message about finding drives or what not, then of course I get the BSOD :temper::temper:

Have you tried the F8 BBS while in RAID or AHCI mode?

Is there a way to upgrade the drivers for the Jmicron or anything without having access to my HDD?

There's a thread somewhere on this forum about that, but you'll have to search for it.

Have you tried the F8 BBS while in RAID or AHCI mode?

There's a thread somewhere on this forum about that, but you'll have to search for it.

Yea I tried the F8 while in RAID and AHCI and both times only the HDD showed up.

I'll look for that thread and try to give that a shot.

if you have an internal enclosure USB adapter (turns a ICH/SATA drive in to an external) try using the adapter that comes with it and plug it into the SATA port or hook up as a USB device... never tried on a DVD/CD but may work and help in your trouble shooting.

Back