• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New watercooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TaCoSwInDeZ

With my new rig i've been wanting to do a simple CPU loop that I could house inside my case. I only plan to do this after I upgrade to a Corsair 800d later down the road but i've done alot of planning and piecing together in my head and so far from the reviews i've read and whatnot I believe I have pieced together the best parts for my I5. I know its kind of overkill for just a CPU with a triple rad especially the TFC X-changer but im going for silent with good cooling potential. Later on if it works out I might be adding a GPU to this loop but im positive that I would do some modifications for that consisting of most likely a separate loop. Anyway here it is:

watercooling.jpg

Also im wondering if the tubing I have selected is going to fog over in time as I want a tubing that will stay crystal clear with time.

Get the two res chamber res. You can add a second pump for a second loop later. Cheaper in the long run.
Always get an extra fan and fittings. They can be bad from the factory and really hold a build up when you can't drive to the store. You will probably need less than 7 ft of tubing, so you can get 10' and have plenty to spare.

OMFG, you don't need those fans on that rad. Your CPU load will be be fine on that rad with some solid 1500 RPM 25mm thick fans undervolted to 900 RPM or less. That rad does well with quiet fans. One reason it's thick and has a low FPI. Look up your rad. I'm sure you know about Skinnee and Martins website by now, your list is almost perfect. Anyhoo, here are the links if you don't have them. It's the WC bible.............

http://www.skinneelabs.com/
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/

BTW, I don't like Feser as a company. Look at the XSPC, Thermochill, and Black Ice SR-1 rads. All kinda the same, you got links I gave ya to decide.

If your fully new at this stuff, please read on this link for some good guides etc.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide

Lastly, you didn't mention liquid. Distilled and a killcoil or Petras PHN nuke.

the tubing you have should be fine i have the primochill lrt uv blue tubing and none of mine has fogged up in the year ive had it in there so you should be fine.

umm there are some double bay resivoirs that you can mount the mcp 355 to the back of or on the other side there are small resivoirs that replace the top of the mcp 355. just a thought it may make install a bit eazier and keep thing tidy in the case. a headsw up if you plan on expanding the loop in the futre to your gpus you will wont to get the mcp 655 its much more powerfull and still very quiet damn near silent.

the apogee xt will be an excellent block i have the old apogee GT and it even is fairly good.

other than that good coices

make sure you post pics of build after done!!

Get the two res chamber res. You can add a second pump for a second loop later. Cheaper in the long run.
Always get an extra fan and fittings. They can be bad from the factory and really hold a build up when you can't drive to the store. You will probably need less than 7 ft of tubing, so you can get 10' and have plenty to spare.

Ok ill change to the 2 pump res then and get a couple extra fittings. Also im getting the extra hose just in case I decide at the last minute I want to build something externally so im just speculating with the 12ft there.

OMFG, you don't need those fans on that rad.

HAHA that literally made me laugh because of your reaction lol. I only chose those fans due to the 38mm size and I wanted the most air pressure I could muster. Notice I have only chosen the 2000rpm models not the 3000's.

I'm sure you know about Skinnee and Martins website by now, your list is almost perfect. Anyhoo, here are the links if you don't have them. It's the WC bible.............

http://www.skinneelabs.com/
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/

Oh yea I've been reading alot of the rad reviews and one reason I picked the Feser because of the 2°Delta performance at my fans speed. The GTX360 beats it but im trying to buy everything from one place to save on shipping and performance-pcs doesnt have the GTX360.

I was also considering just going with a MCR360S, any opinions on that choice?

Also I plan to go with Distilled and a killcoil.

This will be my second loop as my last w/c setup was a XP2400+ with a DD Maze 3 block and heatercore lol. Boy that was a fun experience. Also got any answers about my tubing question in my first post?

EDIT - Nevermind about the tubing question rustyfender answered it. Thanks

looks like a good build to me, would also grab the dual pump bay res for future expansion.

Yea, extra tubing is always good. No worries. Man, since your going distilled look at the color choices. Here is my latest redo of my rig (redone this last weekend). The blue or red is pretty! It's almost year old tubing too.

IMG_0459.jpg

You'll be fine with those fans, but it's more than you need.

The MCR320 by Swiftech is a really fine rad for the money. You need a 'bit' more fannage for the same temps, LOL your more than fine there. For the cost vs temps its about 50% cheaper. With your fans you'd see 'maybe' .3C diff on the CPU. Martin said about a 10% diff over the king the ThermoChill PA 120.3. They make great rads for the money. I met Swiftech CEO Gabe this weekend at a private party for CES. Smart guy. He had an Awesome rig with the new rad/res/pump all on one rad. You got the coin and want a really clean look, check out his website.

Hmm...ok let me ask this then. I already have 3 1900 rpm Slipstream Kaze's what would be a good rad to use with those possibly? And yea I was thinkin of going with colored tubing, I was really hoping for yellow or orange but the green and blue are enticing.

With your setup the fans will be just fine. Having a fan controller helps. When ya need performance, crank a knob. I don't subscribe to the fancy auto control stuff.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheobus-Kit-BLACK-pr-2530.html

I don't see a big reason to get new fans. But if you must, Gentle Typhoon 1850 or even 1450 would be great. They are the king of quiet, pressure, and long life right now. I just slapped 6 of them onto my rig. Even tho my 6 Yate Loon mediums were just fine.

also, you dont need the stackable rad, and the normal mcr320 is even cheaper than the one you have there. Here is a link to it, $10 cheaper

Yup I read it lol. Before I decided to go back water-cooling I did my homework to refresh my memory. Now its just a waiting game till I can afford the case and all the w/c components because all about the same time im going to be upgrading my case (300), video card (400?) and buy watercooling components (360) all in a very short time frame. And then later down the road all the components necessary to w/c the GPU depending on what I end up with. Debating on a 5870 but im anxious to see how fermi is going to do before I make any concrete decisions there.

also, you dont need the stackable rad, and the normal mcr320 is even cheaper than the one you have there. Here is a link to it, $10 cheaper

Ah thank you!, I looked for it but missed it. Honestly looking at all those rads they all start to look the same and the words run together after awhile.

Ah thank you!, I looked for it but missed it. Honestly looking at all those rads they all start to look the same and the words run together after awhile.

yeah, i missed it too, the first time i was looking at that page, had to do a double take, and recheck the list, lol.

Back