• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pcie x1 in a pcie x16 slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duckycrayfish

im thinking about getting the P6T7 WS Supercomputer. it looks like an amasing motherboard, but can you put a pcie x1 into one of its pcie slots?
i dont want to get it unless you can do that... and it would be really bad to get it and find out i cant.
could someone also tell me what its fbs is and how fast ram it can support? (like ddr3-?) i found specs on ram but i really dont understand it. thx :)

then could u tell me what this means?
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16

3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (@ x16 or x8)
3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (@ x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (@ x16)
*4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 or 7 x PCIe 2.0 ( 6:mad:x8, 1:mad:x16)

Pretty crazy isn't it? :) They're attempting to explain how the 64 PCIe lanes are divided up based on which & how many cards you have installed. So if for instance you installed 3 PCIe x16 cards all would be run at full speed and 16 lanes would remain for the other 4 slots to divide up.

that kinda sucks :p. what about this?
Memory Standard
DDR3 1866(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333 /1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Support Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

They're simply memory speeds. The ones that say O.C. are "unofficial" but do-able. ECC is Error Checking & Correction memory...server memory. Slow, you don't want that. XMP is just a profile built into some dimms to make settings easier.

YES! :D

The reason it says "O.C." is because the memory controller in the Intel CPU is only officially rated to run up to DDR3-1333, anything above that is officially considered an OC.

But Intel severely under-rate's them, and that's why motherboard manufactures are confident labeling their motherboards as capable of supporting faster memory speeds. I've tested over a dozen LGA1366 Core i7 CPUs and none of them had any issues running memory over DDR3-2000 :cool:

Back