• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

precleaning for WC set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sofmisfortune

Registered
Hi all,
Just got my parts in today and starting my build and have a couple questions.
I have found a few guides online and they seem like fairly old guides. I have an xspc rx360 rad and EK heatkiller 3.0 cpu block. The guide is telling me to rinse rad with distilled water repeatedly. I started with the distilled water but the rinse seems clean. Do I continue to follow the guide? Also I read somewhere that you should take apart waterblock and clean inside with a tooth brush. Is this necessary or a simple rinse with hot water and then distilled?

well outside of it being neat to see the insides of blocks i take mine apart to inspect for any damages, if any, and to get a thorough cleaning.

rads i clean with hot tap water and a bit of soap. then flush with tap until the soap is gone then flush with distilled.

i also take apart the pump and inspect for anything.

Thanks for the info Spawn. I'm planning on using a paper clip to short power supply. I read that you just use a paper clip in the green and black. Any precautions aside from not touching it?

I agree with Spawn about cleaning. I flush everything with hot water and then rinse with distilled. If anything seems dirty, you can clean it with isopropyl alcohol and then thoroughly rinse it with distilled. I would take apart the block and inspect it to make sure there aren't any remnants from the construction of the block before installing it in your loop.

Thanks for the info Spawn. I'm planning on using a paper clip to short power supply. I read that you just use a paper clip in the green and black. Any precautions aside from not touching it?

dont think so... just dont stick your tongue on it about covers that one :)

(just never try it for more than a few seconds without a load on the PSU)

you can touch the wire all you want, there is very little voltage going through it. it's merely a senor wire to tell the psu to turn on.

Thanks guys, I will update later as soon as I get it going. One more quick question. I've been rinsing my rad and using the plastic plugs that came with it and it seems to leak a bit from them. Is it because there is no rubber seal? I will test with barbs before setup. Also, there are a couple of fins bent on rad. Is it ok to use tweesers and straighten them or just leave them be?

the plastic plugs that shipped with the rad attached ? with a flathead to remove them? they are not meant to seal, or will as there is no o-ring. they just help keep debris out during shipping and handling.

thoes plugs only serve "maybe" as a stupid regulatory thing to stop anything getting inside the unit.

barbs with the O ring most the time work... have one rad with just one port than needs another O ring and metal spacer but its rare to get a slightly dodgy one in that context.

I put the barbs on fill the rad and connect a short tubing between the ports to do my dancin with.

as for the fins.... its like the operation game, you need a very steady hand #Bzzzt#
if your ninja skills arnt sufficient you could do more damage than good.

motherboard wont post

Hey guys,

Ran into a problem after testing loop. left it for about 18 hrs, no leaks. plugged everything in and everything fires up but cpu. ther eare 4 LEDs and only one lights up. I'm fairly sure the board never came in contact with water.Any thoughts on the issue?

Back