• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My uber n00b RAM Question - Need quick answer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s00t

Registered
Yes, that's perfectly compatible, and very good ram. I was going to suggest G.Skill Ripjaws :)

Wait a sec.... it says in the specs for the i5-750 "Memory Controller: Dual channel DDR3 800/1066/1333 MHz". <- So this 1600 MHz RAM won't work with it?

Please help.. I don't want to have to overclock the CPU to use the ram..

Last edited:
Officially, nothing faster then ddr3-1333 exists.

In reality, things are clearly different.

1600 shouldn't be an issue at all for an i5.

Officially, nothing faster then ddr3-1333 exists.

In reality, things are clearly different.

1600 shouldn't be an issue at all for an i5.

I just hear a lot of issues with 1600 mhz ddr3 with i5's around the place, I might just stick with a good set of G.Skill 1333, that should be fine considering I'm not overclocking the CPU. Correct?

The performance difference is minimal, especially if you aren't overclocking.

The slower timings (8-8-8-24 rather then 7-7-7-21) will hurt a bit, but again not something you'd notice without specifically testing for it.

The slower timings (8-8-8-24 rather then 7-7-7-21) will hurt a bit, but again not something you'd notice without specifically testing for it.

So are the faster timings worth the extra £7 + wait? Considering this is gaming rig I wan't to last many years.

I dont know what your suppliers have in stock, but I shop at newegg since my best friends uncle owns a computer business and orders his parts from newegg or a different vender if he is placing a LARGE order worth several thousand $$$. I have 8G of G.Skill in my computer and noticed what your looking at is 8-8-8-24, newegg also offers the same style ram with 7-8-7-24 timings for the exact same price. I have played with timings and MHZ a bit, running DDR2 1066 5-5-5-(12&15) and changing the clock to 750-800ish 4-4-4-(11&12) I would take the faster MHZ and tighter timings, then you have your cake and get to eat it too!!! I have also read that INTEL setups favor faster MHZ on the RAM vs lower timings, but it looks to me to be a close margin when you weight and bench them! I would take the higher MHZ and LOWER timings in a hearbeat!!! BTW GSkill is awsome stuff for the money in my opinion p.s look for the 7-8-7-24 stuff if you can find it from one of your suppliers here is what I was talking about, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303 they also list the 8-8-8-24 stuff you looked at for the same price

Last edited:
Back