• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best RAM FSB & Timings ddr2 1066 w/OC G0 Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falseprophet

what are the best settings are for my hardware setup, I have a Q6600 & TRUEult120extreme (dual 120mm 75cfm fans) both (hand lapped to a mirror finish) & clocked to 3.4. My Idle temps are typically sub 100f, and sub 145f full load. I am running 1512 FSB(qdr?) for the CPU and 1066 5-5-5-15 for the RAM, I feel that somehow I can change my clock and ram settings for better performance. I have read that INTEL systems prefer MHZ over tighter timings and prefer running 1:1 right now it is running 5:7 I have ran it 1066 5-5-5-15 and 750 4-4-4-12 I just dont understand what would be best way to configure it in the BIOS Anyone have solid experience with what I am asking? Looking for good clock ram speed/timing recommendations for evga 780i /Q6600 and 1066 RAM

Last edited:
In terms of real world apps...there isn't much difference between running 1066 5-5-515 with 2T and 800 at 4-4-4-12 1T (1T is critical when using tight timings to get the best performance BTW, but will typically make your system crash at much over 900FSB)

Most games you would be hard pressed to see 1-2FPS difference...unless you were allready getting like 200+ to start.

However..certain benchmarks can be more sensative to timings/fsb and it just depends on what they prefer...say for instance that 3DMARK 05 likes tight timings and 800FSB but yet 3DMARK 06 does better with 1066 and 5-5-5-15 (Don't quote me on those benchmarks or settings..just using that for an example I pulled them off the top of my head)

Personally..I use 1MB of Super Pi as my "Gold Standard" since it's pretty sensitive to memory timings...I would try all sorts or ram ratios and timings and see what gives you the fastest time.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/366/

To me thats like using an Engine Dyno to see/tune your horsepower..vs games and apps you ACTUALLY use (Wich aren't as easy to bench sometimes) That would be more like putting the engine in the car and using a chassis dyno or running it down the quarter mile to see the actual performance...the tuning might need to be a little different then what you used on a engine dyno to get the best performance once it's installed in the car...but the dyno will get you close!

Back