• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheep pump...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I have decided to try my hand at water cooling.... I plan to make my own water block and what not but I will need a cheep pump to test it all before ever getting it close to a computer.

Can any one give me any suggestions since i am totally clueless when it comes to small pumps like that.

I have dealt with land scape pumps for watter features but I am assuming that might be too strong for computer use??

As long as its not like a pool pump or something large like that it should be fine. My first watercooled setup used a quietone 1200 pump here. It worked alright but being 120 volt I had to devise a way to turn it off with my computer unless you wanted to leave it running 24/7 not to mention it was actually quite noisy at times. I thought for the price it couldn't be beat and it had huge amounts of flow through my loop at the time even though it wasn't restrictive at all.

As long as its not like a pool pump or something large like that it should be fine. My first watercooled setup used a quietone 1200 pump here. It worked alright but being 120 volt I had to devise a way to turn it off with my computer unless you wanted to leave it running 24/7 not to mention it was actually quite noisy at times. I thought for the price it couldn't be beat and it had huge amounts of flow through my loop at the time even though it wasn't restrictive at all.

Cool... making a relay to turn on the pump is easy....

Thanks for the idea.. that makes searching easer.

No problem and thats exactly what I did was use a solid state relay I had laying around. However after about a year my pump started making all kinds of noise and eventually quit on me so I got another identical model and I didn't have it 2 months and it overheated and quit also so the Quality of them aren't that great. But I guess you get what you pay for. Personally if it were me I would just go ahead and get a good pump such as a MCP-355 and a restop or one of the various aftermarket tops to utilize bigger fittings or go with a MCP-655. These are tried and true pumps that are known to last a good while and most likely be much quieter than the pumps I mentioned.

I have decided to try my hand at water cooling.... I plan to make my own water block and what not but I will need a cheep pump to test it all before ever getting it close to a computer.

Can any one give me any suggestions since i am totally clueless when it comes to small pumps like that.

I have dealt with land scape pumps for watter features but I am assuming that might be too strong for computer use??

I've got an extra pondmaster 750 (or whatever it says in my sig) that I'd be willing to throw up on the classifieds and part with cheaply.

They said it'd never work... they said it wouldn't last... but my temps are proven and it's been 2-3 years since they said it and it's running right now.

I've got an extra pondmaster 750 (or whatever it says in my sig) that I'd be willing to throw up on the classifieds and part with cheaply.

They said it'd never work... they said it wouldn't last... but my temps are proven and it's been 2-3 years since they said it and it's running right now.

Send me a pm if you want to part with it....
No guarentees I can buy .... will need wifes approval.

lol, i thought thread title said cheese pump.

this is a good one on the cheap. can also be submersed. http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...h?&query=maxi+jet&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=

i use one in my fish tank and got a spare one and it can pump a good distance. i was draining my tank which is about 15-20 feet away from a drain. i hooked it up to about 25 feet of garden hose and it was able to pump horizontally just fine.

Last edited:
DUSNOETOS, rainless said he would put it up in the Classifieds to sell, which is the correct way to sell on these forums. We do not arrange things out here in the general forums when you are buying and selling. You and rainless get together by PM so he can post his pump for sale in the cooling section of the Classifieds, not here in this thread.

rainless, thank you for following proper protocol for talking about selling your extra pump in the Classies.:thup:

DUSNOETOS, rainless said he would put it up in the Classifieds to sell, which is the correct way to sell on these forums. We do not arrange things out here in the general forums when you are buying and selling. You and rainless get together by PM so he can post his pump for sale in the cooling section of the Classifieds, not here in this thread.

rainless, thank you for following proper protocol for talking about selling your extra pump in the Classies.:thup:

Sorry for scraping the rules... I respect the rules... I just was not paying attention... Sorry will try to not let it happen again.

That would make sence...
is their a target GPM I should look for.... or does it depend on the watterblock?

well the mcp355 does 120GPH and 20 feet of head and the mcp655 does 317GPH and 10 feet of head. so look for about 200 or more GPH. with at least 6 feet of head pressure.

That would make sence...
is their a target GPM I should look for.... or does it depend on the watterblock?

It does. The final result is you need 1.0 to 1.5 GPM to flow through a modern CPU block for it to work. So both charecteristics matter. Flow rate and head pressure. A high restriction block can really reduce flow rates.

Building your own block you want to be able to test at low and high flow rates in your final design. So if your planning to market the block you better get one of these someday and voltage control the pump for testing.

It's a MONSTER

http://www.jab-tech.com/Iwaki-RD-30-24v-DC-pump-pr-3849.html

A pretty darn good pump is this one and more than enough for your basic testing and a regualr loop usage. Even the $49.95 one will do.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-cpx_pro-12v_pump.html?&cat=0

EK has rebadged this, so you might find it cheaper somewhere. Your not going to find a much cheaper 12VDC pump with decent specs over this.

But try to find the cheapest one

Also check garden store or hardware store that has gardening section. Some have pond pump that could do 2-4gpm and several feet up. They tended to be a bit pricey and hard to fit standard hose to intake.

Back