• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade problem with QX9650 on P5K-VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

annxprop

Registered
Hi,
I have been using this MB for for a couple of years with OCed E4500 and recently decided to upgrade to QX9650. After upgrading BIOS to 1001 I replaced the CPU with the stock Intel fan. My memory is two sticks of OCZ2P800R22GK (1GB, DDR2-800). That system wouldn't boot (no post). I removed all peripherals except LCD and keyboard, left only one memory stick, cleared CMOS, rebooted many times but cannot get it to boot (no beep, no BIOS screen). Curiously, if I remove all memory it starts beeping as expected but of course I can't run BIOS without memory. So I wonder if it is a memory compat issue. Has anyone had a similar problem with this MB or memory? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

try the e4500 with the same ram to see if you get post if you do is the mb is not compatible with the QX9650

There's only C0 and C1 revisions of the QX9650, the Q9650 is E0.

Since you have BIOS 0602 or later, you should be fine if your chip is C0.

Last edited:
For PSU I have Corsair VX450W. Re the revision I don't if it is C0 or C1. How do I find out?

For PSU I have Corsair VX450W. Re the revision I don't if it is C0 or C1. How do I find out?

Download CPU-Z it gives you info on your CPU, Mobo, RAM, and GPU.

Depending on the rest of your system, that PSU might be cutting it close with +12v @ 33.

Don't I need to boot the system to run CPU-Z? Chicken and egg problem.

There is an ID on the front of the CPU (very small characters). Is there a way to find out the rev nr based on that ID?

Re PSU according this it draws less power than Core 2 Duo (160W at idle).

Duh..:bang head lol

On the CPU there will be a Spec number, either SLAN3 (C0) or SLAWN (C1).

thanks for the pointer. It is SLAN3 so should not be the issue. I guess I will have to write to ASUS...

Actually after several back and forth b/w E4500 and QX9650 I managed to get it to boot. I don't know what specifically was different when it did not boot but some progress is made. However it doesn't last and automatically turns power off after a minute or so. I notices the CPU temperature is 85C. Would that be too high? My BIOS is all set to AUTO pretty much. Any tips?

I finally got it to work. The overheating was caused by uneven seating I think. After reseating it showed 27C. But now I have another nasty problem. After I put the system to sleep I cannot get it back. And after turning the power off and back on I am in square one - cannot get the system to boot. So I atm going back to E4500 to see if I repeat the process. Very frustrating :(

make sure one of the push pins did not pop up again. push pins suck. also do you get any beeps on mobo codes? have you taken out the battery for a few hours or reset the cmos?

Let us know bro we really want to help.

Thank you so much. I am not sure what pins you are referring to. I tried everything I could think of. I was able to put e4500 back and it does boot. But everytime I replace with QX9650 it no longer boots no matter what I do. I reset CMOS, took battery out, hit reset multiple times. Nothing helps. One thing that I noticed is that when I press reset button it wouldn't restart immediately - it takes many presses before it turns off power and restarts. This is the same with E4500 and QX9650. I also read some blogs on the S3 problems and turned S3 off in BIOS just to avoid the sleep problem. This problem occurs both with E4500 and QX9650. The difference is on E4500 I can reset and reboot. With QX9600 in that one case when it run and went to sleep I can no longer boot it at all.

So any help is really appreciated.

I forgot to tell you that there is no beeps with QX9600. When I hear the beep it means I will see the BIOS screen. Ther other thing that I saw when QX9600 worked is the fan speed was lower right away - the mobo is supposed to control it. In the current state it starts at high speed, after a while it gets lower but still not as low as it was when it booted normally (as I recall).

Thank you so much. I am not sure what pins you are referring to. I tried everything I could think of. I was able to put e4500 back and it does boot. But everytime I replace with QX9650 it no longer boots no matter what I do. I reset CMOS, took battery out, hit reset multiple times. Nothing helps. One thing that I noticed is that when I press reset button it wouldn't restart immediately - it takes many presses before it turns off power and restarts. This is the same with E4500 and QX9650. I also read some blogs on the S3 problems and turned S3 off in BIOS just to avoid the sleep problem. This problem occurs both with E4500 and QX9650. The difference is on E4500 I can reset and reboot. With QX9600 in that one case when it run and went to sleep I can no longer boot it at all.

So any help is really appreciated.

He's talking about the push pins that hold the heatsink in place.

I forgot to tell you that there is no beeps with QX9600. When I hear the beep it means I will see the BIOS screen. Ther other thing that I saw when QX9600 worked is the fan speed was lower right away - the mobo is supposed to control it. In the current state it starts at high speed, after a while it gets lower but still not as low as it was when it booted normally (as I recall).

What does the BIOS report as temps?

That specific chip is not on the compatability list...

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=EJybwaQ3J8goocW2

0902 supports the Q9650, but I dont see a mention of any QX chip. The point of that chip is to be able to change the multiplier, and frankly extreme overclocking and cooling...$500+ chip on a budget, G33 chipset board though????????? Wha???!!???

The chips are listed in alphabetical order, so the "Core 2 Extreme" chips are between the "Core 2 Duo" and "Core 2 Quad" in that list.

To answer MattNo5ss re the temp i can't get to BIOS. I don't even get a beep. But after I remove the fan it doesn't feel hot at all. Last time the temp was high it would turn off the power automatically.

Back