• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time newbie, Overclock the P6TD Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samhfoley

I have 12 GB of Super Talent DDR3 with specs as follows
2 sets of....
WB200UX6G9 6 GB 2000 Mhz PC3-16000 256M x 64 128M x 8 9-9-9-28 N Y 1.65V Triple Channel Kit of 3

system info as follows
P6TD Deluxe Motherboard
Intel i7 950 processor
RAM as stated above
Mugen 2 fan

Windows 7 64 bit system

I've never done any overclocking before so any helpful hints/instruction would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
-Sam

Specs:
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz /8MB L3 Cache
Mugen 2 cooler
12GB (6x 2GB DDR3 PC16000 Super Talent) model #WB200UX6G9 rated 9-9-9-28 1.5V
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So I've been trying to overclock based in this guide

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Which resulted with:
Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech - Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech - Enabled
BCLK Frequency - 160
PCIE Fequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1282MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 28 DRAM Clock
CPU Voltage 1.10000v
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAM Voltage - Auto
IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.50v
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC - Auto
Load-Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
IOH Clock Skew - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto

I got a blue screen upon restart and this was only supposed to get me to 3.6 Where am I going wrong here?

Additional Details
1. By what increments should I increase the voltage to overclock?

2. When manually inputting the RAM settings there are 3 sections, but I only added to the 1st section. Do I need to do anything in the 2nd or 3rd areas since I have all 6 RAM slots filled?

looks to me like you need to raise the cpu voltage to about 1.25 then raise mem voltage up to 1.64 and then raise qpi to about 1.3 and see if it boots. I would also take all the voltages that you havent raised off auto and set them at the lowest value that isnt auto, do this all the way down in bios to dram voltage (which you will set at 1.64)

looks to me like you need to raise the cpu voltage to about 1.25 then raise mem voltage up to 1.64 and then raise qpi to about 1.3 and see if it boots. I would also take all the voltages that you havent raised off auto and set them at the lowest value that isnt auto, do this all the way down in bios to dram voltage (which you will set at 1.64)

I will try it when I get hom in a few hours and let you know how it went. Thanks for the quick reply

You mean these voltages are the ones I should set at min. levels?

Followed your advice, booted fine, but then when running IntelBurn test in standard mode I had temps upwards of 90 so I shut it down and reverted back to default settings. Ran IntelBurn test at default settings with turbo on and still saw temps get up into 83 degree range. At default the range of the test was 58-84 degrees. Any advice for getting that temp down? My Scythe Mugen 2 fan not doing the trick?

the scythe mugen is a decent cooler, esp for the money. I have had 2 of them and if the fan was pointing up in a tower case the temps would go up. make sure the fan on the cooler is pointing towards the back of the case and that you have thermal paste on correct.
you could try to set the cpu voltage to auto and may get it to boot and run at a lower voltage that way, or just try bringing it down manually

the scythe mugen is a decent cooler, esp for the money. I have had 2 of them and if the fan was pointing up in a tower case the temps would go up. make sure the fan on the cooler is pointing towards the back of the case and that you have thermal paste on correct.
you could try to set the cpu voltage to auto and may get it to boot and run at a lower voltage that way, or just try bringing it down manually

fan is on properly, and thermal paste was generously applied. I will try putting the CPU voltage on auto and see how that goes

that could be the issue in itself the more generous thermal paste you apply the hotter the cpu will run, it took me 3 attempts with a thermaltake v1 cooler to get the thing set up right. where as my Noctua nh d14 i got it right the first time putting it in.

cpu on auto, if you bring up the bclk it will raise the voltage pretty quickly and your temps will go up even more. you need to find where you are happy with your temps and clocks and find the sweet spot.

Reseated the heatsink and now am running cooler temps. 24-53 running IntelBurn at default BIOS settings (turbo on) That sound about right? If so then I will start calibrating for the OC

Specs:
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz /8MB L3 Cache
Mugen 2 cooler
12GB (6x 2GB DDR3 PC16000 Super Talent) model #WB200UX6G9 rated 9-9-9-28 1.5V
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So I've been trying to overclock based in this guide

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Which resulted with:
Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech - Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech - Enabled
BCLK Frequency - 160
PCIE Fequency - 100
DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1282MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 9 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 28 DRAM Clock
CPU Voltage 1.10000v
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAM Voltage - Auto
IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.50v
Load-Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
IOH Clock Skew - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto

I got a blue screen upon restart and this was only supposed to get me to 3.6 Where am I going wrong here?

Additional Details
1. By what increments should I increase the voltage to overclock?

2. When manually inputting the RAM settings there are 3 sections, but I only added to the 1st section. Do I need to do anything in the 2nd or 3rd areas since I have all 6 RAM slots filled?

nice guide...going to use it myself tomorrow and maybe I'll get it right

Back