• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 Choice of Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zzzzzzzzzz

I was planning on building a new computer for myself soon.

After some examination of the products currently being offer in the market, I decided the and Intel Core2 Duo processor should be sufficient my my purposes.

I also wanted a motherboard that supports SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0.

After looking through Asus (a brad I have used in the past) motherboards, I saw that their motherboards supporting Intel Core2 Duo processors do not support the SATA 6 Gb/s or USB 3.0.

Are there motherboards supporting the Intel Core2 Duo processor line and SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0?

To get SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 on the motherboard supporting an Intel processor, would a (often much more expensive) Intel Core i[something] be used?

You will need to go with a socket 1156 or 1366 CPU in order to get a motherboard with SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0. You could get an i3 or i5 with a P55 motherboard (w/Bios flash I'm pretty sure) that supports both. Core i3 is not much more expensive than C2D. EDIT: In fact, it can even be cheaper.

I just ordered an Asus P7P55D-E. It isn't great for dual GPU's but I don't need all that. I just need it to run Bad Company 2. I will post a build thread when I am done.

There isn't many devices that supports USB 3.0 yet, and those that are out are very expensive compared to USB 2.0 devices. If you're the type of person who rebuilds and upgrade computer every year, I'd skip on USB 3.0 this year. But if you plan to keep the computer for a few years, then go for it. :)

I heard that Intel has no plans on supporting SATA 6Gb/s anytime in 2010. This includes chipsets and SSD's :( Any MoBo's that support it will NOT do so through the native Intel I/O chip (at least not this year)...

However, Asus should have a combination USB3/SATA 6Gb/s PCIe x4 card out soon for like $29...

:cool:

I find it acceptable to use an expansion card for USB 3.0.

An using an expansion card for SATA 6 Gb/s, however, I am not so willing (due to not wanting to deal with potential problems between motherboard and controller card firmware).

Back