• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help w/sudden overclock problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polarys425

I have a sudden problem with an overclock that has been rock stable for sometime. I have changed CPU's, and the same problem occurs. My E8400 has run 4.25ghz (500x8.5) easily (watercooled). Heres the catch, it, and my new CPU will run fine w/4gb ram. In fact the new cpu will run as high as 4.4ghz with only 4gb of memory. When i try to run 8gb, it fails prime64 immediately. It runs fine with either 4gb set of memory. I've tried muliple different settings, even downclocking significantly 3.8ish, still fails w/ 8gb ram. Memory isnt overclocked at all.

P5Q-Deluxe
[email protected] 500x8.5 watercooled
8gb Gskill 1066mhz
corsair 750w
9800GTX+

My oc settings are in the pics below except for couple changes.
FSB term is 1.3v
Dram voltage is 2.1v
NB Voltage is 1.3v

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71682&d=1236022185

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71683&d=1236022191

Is your new RAM configuration 4x2GB? If you are using 4 sticks of RAM then that is the problem. The extra modules put extra stress on the system. Use only two of your RAM slots for an easier OC and stability. EDIT: You could also try to bump up the other voltages like NB, FSB, etc..

Last edited:
Is your new RAM configuration 4x2GB? If you are using 4 sticks of RAM then that is the problem. The extra modules put extra stress on the system. Use only two of your RAM slots for an easier OC and stability. EDIT: You could also try to bump up the other voltages like NB, FSB, etc..

I'd been running 8gb for some time, just fine. ALL modules pass memtest no problem.

This started all the sudden one day. Sudden random reboots(bluescreens). At first i thought the CPU had degraded, but the problem persists with the new CPU, and the new CPU is a better clocker.

I've tried bumping NB voltage, mem voltage, FSB term voltage, cpu vcore, all slightly, no help. There are other settings there, but im not familiar enough with those to know if they'll help or not.

Anyone know what the highest safe NB voltage is? maybe i need to go higher, but fear pushing it too far.

Oh, I misunderstood your issue. It's hard to say then because something degraded so the only thing I can think of would be to check the motherboard for bad caps, test the RAM again and use less of it and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Back