• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression Fittings or Barbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey Zeus

Which provide's a better seal? I've always used barbs but compression fittings look like fun but i've read about some compression fittings leaking on the swiftech water blocks. What do you guys suggest?

They are equal when it comes to leaks etc. Compressions look better. Compressions cost more.

The reason they leak isn't the actual hose fitting, it's the thickness of the oring and the recessed hole on the block. The new Apogee XT isn't like the GTZ etc. People with compressions remove the oring off the supplied barbs that come with the block and use them on the compression fittings. The supplied o-rings are thicker. Others carefully used two o-rings.

i always hated compressions due to the price, but i bought 2 of them to try it out and they aren't that bad. if i had the money i would go all compression.

barbs and a T-bar clamp provide the best security. but compressions will work just fine.

compression fitting is also quicker install and disconnect. But if money is an issue, barb and hose clamp will suit just fine.

They are equal when it comes to leaks etc. Compressions look better. Compressions cost more.

The reason they leak isn't the actual hose fitting, it's the thickness of the oring and the recessed hole on the block. The new Apogee XT isn't like the GTZ etc. People with compressions remove the oring off the supplied barbs that come with the block and use them on the compression fittings. The supplied o-rings are thicker. Others carefully used two o-rings.

i always hated compressions due to the price, but i bought 2 of them to try it out and they aren't that bad. if i had the money i would go all compression.

barbs and a T-bar clamp provide the best security. but compressions will work just fine.

compression fitting is also quicker install and disconnect. But if money is an issue, barb and hose clamp will suit just fine.

Awesome posts. Thanks guys. Going to try the Compression fittings :)

Back