• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reap3r

I have a strange problem with the RAM in my computer... I have 6GB of OCZ Gold DDR3 memory equipped in the proper slots, but my bios only recognizes 4GB of the 6GB.. Also Windows 7 only recognized 4GB.. HOWEVER, When I ran CPU-Z it saw all 3 sticks of RAM and was able to give accurate information on all 3 sticks, claiming I had 6GB installed... Now i've heard people complaining that their RAM doesn't show up whatsoever, but why would CPU-Z find my RAM but nothing else can? Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? :shrug:

Look for something similar to "Memory Remap" in your BIOS. Enable that and it should detect 4GB+ ram.

It is weird because today's motherboards should automatically detect more than 4GB without changing anything in the BIOS.

I would also update the BIOS for that motherboard.

Hope that helps.

You have a 32bit OS dont you? That will only show about 4GB available.

Also, yeah that sig is annoying, I cant read the blue for some reason, not to mention the offset the blue/red combo does!!! :)

Remove the CPU and check the pins for misalignment, which is pretty common w/ the P6T series of boards, and can cause the issue you're seeing. Here's an example of what to look for...

Attachments

• 25s4nx2.jpg
    25s4nx2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
You have a 32bit OS dont you? That will only show about 4GB available.

Also, yeah that sig is annoying, I cant read the blue for some reason, not to mention the offset the blue/red combo does!!! :)

Nah i'm running windows 7 x64.. so I don't really think thats a contributing factor....

And I know that sig is annnoying hehe! Its because red and blue are at opposite ends of the light spectrum, so your eyes have to switch back and forth to look at one or the other ;)

Nope. Guess not then.

I used to have that B/R combo on my monitor for my job and what it does for me is actually give a depth to the wording. I just cant focus on that blue. It is annoying!!!! LOL

Look for something similar to "Memory Remap" in your BIOS. Enable that and it should detect 4GB+ ram.

It is weird because today's motherboards should automatically detect more than 4GB without changing anything in the BIOS.

I would also update the BIOS for that motherboard.

Hope that helps.

I did update the BIOS, and still it didn't do anything... and I looked and I can't find anything close to memory remap either.. =/

Remove the CPU and check the pins for misalignment, which is pretty common w/ the P6T series of boards, and causes the issue you're seeing. Here's an example of what to look for...

ack I was afraid it might be that :rain:... Thinking back to when I first put the CPU in, I thought i noticed a few odd pins but I didn't think twice about it... grrr!

Thank god the CM storm scout has a cut out behind the mobo to remove custom heatsink brackets, i'd shoot myself if i had to remount my whole mobo over this :p

Also do you have any reccomendations on what to use to realign the pins? I wouldn't want to go and make the situation even worse...

Working with the pins is a PITA!

I would take a close look at the pins.

When looking at it, it should all look uniform (in this case, half of the square CPU socket should and the other half a different shade). If you see any discrepancy then take a closer look. The pins should all be going one way and one misaligned pin sticks out in the crowd.

Try turning off the overclocking. See if that changes anything, too.

Working with the pins is a PITA!

I would take a close look at the pins.

When looking at it, it should all look uniform (in this case, half of the square CPU socket should and the other half a different shade). If you see any discrepancy then take a closer look. The pins should all be going one way and one misaligned pin sticks out in the crowd.

Try turning off the overclocking. See if that changes anything, too.

Yeah I can imagine that playing with those pins does suck.. I hope i can find a decent magnifying glass somewhere.. and i don't think the overclock is affecting anything, i've had that problem from the day I built the computer and all the components were still stock..

I've always used either a straight pin or a micro screwdriver tip fit into a pin vise.

Well I do have some straight pins lying around somewhere and a couple glasses repair screwdrivers... I guess i'll give it a go later on today.. and then report back on whether or not anything has changed... wish me luck! x_x

I'm having the same problem, it started a few days ago. Rampage II Gene with OCZ platinum low-voltage, win 7 64. My machine wouldn't post, I took it in and the repair guy had to put in components one by one and use the memOK button on the board, he got it to post again and recommended i buy a better psu, which i have, but then i noticed only 4gb is showing.

The store thinks it is a bent cpu pin, but i doubt he moved the cpu, and the memory was fine for months before that. Anus - excuse me, Asus - wants to blame it on the memory not being QVL. (i got it in a package deal with the cpu and mb.) But then why would it have worked for so long? I have updated the bios, no help. The dimms pass memtest fine. I can live with 4gb of memory for now, but i'm really stumped, and i'm really looking for more information.

I checked the pins, just to be sure. A good look under a magnifying glass didn't show anything out of place. In a forum on Tom's Hardware, someone said a badly fitted heatsink could be the problem too, if it's too tight. I'm not too thrilled with the fit of my Coolermaster Hyper T3, the plastic fasteners don't seem to be the greatest, and it wasn't designed for the i7, so it could well be that it's pressing down more on one side. But I have no way to adjust that. Anyhow, taking it all apart and putting it back together has made no difference.

Woooooo!!!!!

Success!!!!

When i took out my Cooler master V8 to put in my brand new megahalems I removed the CPU and unbent 3 pins that were bent on the mobo.. started the computer up again.. and bam! 6gb of RAM detected in bios and in the OS... WOOOO!!

Thanks everyone for your help!! :D :D :D

Back