• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building today!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

renol

Specs in signature. My only concern is putting too much thermal on and cracking mobo since my V8 is huge. I never OC'd either nor built a computer before. I just know how to hook the wires up and install parts. So if anyone has my same layout let me know so I can copy the OC. All the parts are brand new too so should be good times. :sn:

Oh, just to add the book didn't have my memory listed but I went online to Asus' website and it showed they added it. I think I may need the new bios from them before I start playing.

put the chip/hsf on the mobo before mounting if you can.. otherwise that can be a real pain in the rear

otherwise its very straightforward.. I just put my signature system together a few months ago and had never done it before.. it is a little scary since YOU are the warranty on it not booting etc at first!

Work on gettin cpu/hsf/ram into the board, mount board, install psu (or do this first like i did), install wires to mobo, install gfx, install HDD and attach, install dvd drives and attach, plug it all in, turn it on.. dont bother putting your covers back on etc until you're sure you're done.. i just put mine on this week since I was waiting on fans

As for thermal paste.. people say use a pea as a guide.. but use less than that to avoid it squishing out the sides.. hard to explain, but hte size of a spitball (usually thats smaller than a pea) would be my guess.. this was also the part where i went.. what the h*** am I doing!

once its all put together, boot up, go into bios, set ram to your mem specs manually, dont use XMP profiles etc, set mem volts to 1.65 or closest (mine does 1.64 in bios)

install windows, try to get solid starting boot, download prime95/coretemp or realtemp/memtest

run memtest off bootable cd or usb (need to setup primary startup in bios to not use HDD)
if memtest passes, get back into windows, run prime95 for about an hour and use coretemp/realtemp to monitor your temps.. at stock you shouldn't see that go over 70c unless your ambient is up there.

if p95 passes an hour stable (hopefully it does at stock settings) go back into bios and start tweaking, the chip OC i'd step down to someone on a asus board since its a little different and im not very good at oc'ing yet.. but up cpu voltage to like 1.25 and try setting clock to a 161 and see if you can get a boot into windows.. if you do run prime another hour and watch temps.. if that works, wash, rinse, and repeat though you will need more voltage adjustments for higher ocs..

also what stepping is the chip c0 or d0?

Read the MFG website on how to apply the thermal compound.

As far as overclocking and giving you cookie cutter settings...it may or may not work. Its best to read the guide in my signature to learn the concepts, and go from there. Soon there will be a very well written guide on this site that will help you out also.

I wouldnt imagine you would NOT need a new bios for ram either.

Last edited:
Thats a decent guide...for an old system. DDR3 wasnt even a twinlkle in a motherboards eye (CPU) when that was written. Read the i7 guide I linked. Thats going to be more applicable.

Could be incredibly confusing with no ddr3, different socket/chip, terminology (no FSB etc) everything is all. The guide linked in sig has a lot of that info anyway. I personally wouldnt link to that site when a begninner is trying to overclock a completely different setup.

the clunk guide should get you to 3.8 without a hitch.. hitting 4.0 and higher takes your own personal tweaking as each chip/mobo is different even when made the same.. i used clunk to get to 3.8 stable in prime95 for 24hrs with max temp of 82 on a spike.. rest of the cores were just shy of 80

sSpec Number:
CPU Speed:
PCG:
Bus Speed:
Bus/Core Ratio:
L3 Cache Size:
L3 Cache Speed:
SLBEJ
2.66 GHz
4.8 GT/s
8 MB
Package Type:
Manufacturing Technology:
Core Stepping:
CPUID String:
Thermal Design Power:
Thermal Specification:
VID Voltage Range:
LGA1366
45 nm
D0
106A5
130W
67.9°C max
.80V-1.375V

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBEJ

Just adding this so I can print it later.

the clunk guide should get you to 3.8 without a hitch.. hitting 4.0 and higher takes your own personal tweaking as each chip/mobo is different even when made the same.. i used clunk to get to 3.8 stable in prime95 for 24hrs with max temp of 82 on a spike.. rest of the cores were just shy of 80

wow...mine says 67.9 is max...

Ok, here's my question I get to 3.8 with the guide below.

Instead of putting 1451mhz can I put 1600 or should I bump it slowly? My memory is 1600 so I don't think there's a hinder on me doing that but I wanted to verify with you guys.

"DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1451MHz - If you use memory that is slower than 1600MHz, you can use the next lowest setting here, however, if you use faster memory, such as 1866MHz or even 2000MHz, please stick with this setting for now".

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

ROTFLMAO...I think I will keep it under 67. You must have a hell of a cooling system.
General consensus is to keep it under 80C. Obviously the lower the better though.

That number is not what you should be going by.

Also, there is an EDIT button available to prevent double/triple posting. ;)

the best way to overclock is to take your memory out of the loop as best as possible and work on the core first.. usually by setting timings to 9-9-9-24 and setting the dram frequency to be like 1066 thats like 2:8?

Last edited:
General consensus is to keep it under 80C. Obviously the lower the better though.

That number is not what you should be going by.

Also, there is an EDIT button available to prevent double/triple posting. ;)

Ah, yeah I'm still getting use to forums. I'll try to remember that. The link you gave said I think 75...that still safe?

the best way to overclock is to take your memory out of the loop as best as possible and work on the core first.. usually by setting timings to 9-9-9-24 and setting the dram frequency to be like 1066 thats like 2:8?

That would be the part I'm lost at.

Back