• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best for my E8400 and DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PretzelPusher

I am in the process of updating my mobo. Any help would be much appreciated. I want to use my current ram. Corsair Dominator CM2X1024 - 8500C5D. I have 4 matched sticks of the stuff to go along with my E8400 and NVidia GTX 285 OC.

I was thinking about the Gigabyte EP45-UP4R but that is now out of stock on the Egg. I would also love the option of SLI to add my 9800 GT as a physics processor.

Can someone give me a good alternative??

Thanks for the help!!!

P45 boards are great OCers (Gigabyte UD3L/R/P or Asus P5Qs). Some P45 boards support Xfire, but none support SLI.

For SLI, I would look into 7xxi chipsets, eVGA or Asus.

Thank you for the welcome... although if you look at my join date it was um.... some time ago..... I guess when I changed my email I didn't report back in enough time to keep my status... but, thanks anyway....

Problem is I am only finding one board on the egg that match my criteria.....

ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
and it is DDR2 800 as a memory standard..... won't that hold me back on hitting the 3.6 to 3.8 overclocking range????

Oh well, I just found some good deals on tigerdirect..... I have the option of Asus, XFX and Evga all with the 780i chipset for around $100.00 although they are recertified.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a SLI capable board to run one graphics card then another for physics. But again, I'm not too sure of that, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Yeah, you don't need SLI for physX. Re-reading the OP it does sound like he might have thought SLI is needed.

If you'll just be running 1 GPU and 1 PPU, then definitely get a P45 board.

Thanks for the help..... now I really have a decision to make don't I..... I like the idea of a $100 SLI board... but P45 is a better overclocker..... oh, what's a gamer to do... LOL.

IDK how well the 750i overclocks . My 780i does 500+fsb stable I would expect around the same with a p45 mb .

You have pc 8500 ram so you will have no problems with that .

IDK how well the 750i overclocks . My 780i does 500+fsb stable I would expect around the same with a p45 mb .

You have pc 8500 ram so you will have no problems with that .

See... now that's what I'm talkin about.... your sig has the xfx 780i in it and the same proc I have...... I can pick up that same board for $100.00 bones off tiger.....

I'm placing my order tomorrow!!!!!

Am I reading that right..... your at 4.5??? SWEET!!!!

A good thing with the NV chipset . If you have problems running 4x1gig @ 900+mhz you can unlink and run the ram @ a stable speed . with a intel you would be stuck .

If I had a Intel chipset with this ram I could only run @ like 4ghz (my ram doesnt like much over 900mhz

Good thoughts... thanks for the insight.... I'm looking forward to the letting my 8400 run a little.... it's been stuck in a G31 based Elitegroup board for about 6 months. It's killing me having all this potential and keeping it in the stable per say...

Ok... I took the plunge tonight and picked up a EP45-UD3P. I also picked up a Corsair H50 to go along with it. I hope I can hit 4.0 or better with this set up and keep me from going 1366 for another year or so.

What ya think??? Can I hit it?

Good to know..... I am hoping for 4.0 and wishing for 4.2 ..... My last OC venture was on socket 939 so this will be my first Intel venture... but, I'm looking forward to it......

Thanks for the posts Zeus. I appreciate it!!!

Good to know..... I am hoping for 4.0 and wishing for 4.2 ..... My last OC venture was on socket 939 so this will be my first Intel venture... but, I'm looking forward to it......

Thanks for the posts Zeus. I appreciate it!!!

PM me if you need any help with settings

Back