• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micro board question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jinxjx

Hi there, Can a good micro board overclock like the regular atx boards ? I been thinking about a H55 board with a i5-650.....Thanks guys..:shock:

H55 is a slightly modded P55 so i dont see why it wouldnt oc. i have a X58 mATX and P55 mATX board's and they oc rather well. there was a article i read a while ago about intel saying that H55 can be used in a ATX FF but many people where going for smaller pc's. The next step down would be mATX and is why there is a wide range of mATX boards with H55 vs ATX with H55.

If anything i would consider gettin a i3 540 instead, better price/performance ratio. if you are ocing the i3 $/performance is just going to be higher.

MicroATX boards aren't just limited to the low-end like they were 10 years ago. There are still low-end ones, of course, but the upper-end ones are generally every bit as good as their full-size counterparts... just smaller.

The only real difference between the P5x and H5x is the support for the Clarkdale IGP. They should clock about the same.

Though, one thing to note; H55 is actually a bit deceptively named... the H57 is the one equal to the P55, H55 is slightly lower-end. The main difference is that the H55 lacks RAID functionality, and I think it also has a couple fewer PCIe lanes and a couple fewer USB ports (neither of which really matters much, IMO).

yea after looking agian on the H55 it has 2 less x1 lanes then the H57. we are talking H55 = 6 pcie x1 lanes vs H57 = 8 pcie x1 lanes. though that shouldnt matter on a mATX you can fit that many x1 slots any way. if anything they just use 1 x1 slot and direct the rest to a single (secondary) 16x slot.

i5-650 only costs $20 (or 15%) more and adds features (or rather does not lose them): hardware virtualization, trusted execute, AES, turbo, plus a higher base clock implying a superior "bin". Perhaps if none of that is desired and intending on overclocking to make up for raw performance then the better value gamble would be the i3-530.

shipped prices:
i3-530 $105
i3-540 $135
i5-650 $155

Last edited:
im not sure where your seeing those prices, but im looking at newegg. the price spread is alot higher then $20, 540=$144 and 650=$194. the 650 doesnt offer that much over the 540 either. Both cpu's still being early batches have the same chance of hitting the same clocks. the other thing is to not all the time does a higher clocked cpu = better binned. some times intel has to re-bin cpus to meet demand, they have done it before and will do it agian.

some of those features we dont have on LGA775 cpu so what are the chances they would be used now? yea they are nice and all but for 90% of the people here AES wont be used. other features that are more niche features are the TXT and VT, my 920 has VT but i have never used it. Turbo is out the window when you start ocing the cpu anyway...

Yeah, newegg's pricing isn't particularly competitive on these. Those are from microcenter and buy.com. To each their own on the features.

Back