• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

renol

My motherboard didn't read the full memory size of the sticks I seated...only achieved 2GB so 1 stick works???? I didn't touch bios though and my memory wasn't in the book but when I went to Asus' website they updated the memory vender list. I'm thinking I need to install the updated bios they have online.

The ugly... I had to put in Windows XP home without a key so it will expire in 30 days not sure if this is related to the memory issue. I haven't done any bios configurations...so I didn't set the memory voltage which could be why they aren't all reading to show 6GB. Other thing I can think of is that my mobo says 1600 (O.C.). So I may need to do something bios wise?

Any suggestions? I will be playing with the memory when I get home and try reseating them to see if only 1 stick is working. I haven't tried reseating them yet.

Like I said, I highly doubt a bios update will help with your memory issue.

XP expiring likely has nothing to do with it either.

Have you tried the other sticks in the same slot?

Did you manually adjust the memory timings and voltages (like the guide says?!!)?

What slots did you put the memory in?

Can you post a CPUz screenshot of the memory tab? and SPD tab?

EDIT: Also, you cannot link to external sites aside from heatware in your signature. If you want to link to that, link to the thread I started.

Like I said, I highly doubt a bios update will help with your memory issue.

XP expiring likely has nothing to do with it either.

Have you tried the other sticks in the same slot?
I don't have any others but I didn't reseat or play with them either so it may be the settings I need to set up like you said.
Did you manually adjust the memory timings and voltages (like the guide says?!!)? Nope, just got the computer running is all I did.

Last 3 near the end of the mobo...they're all the same memory slots.

Can you post a CPUz screenshot of the memory tab? and SPD tab?

Not yet, just got it running last night but I will post asap, which will be in about 6 hours from now.

EDIT: Also, you cannot link to external sites aside from heatware in your signature. If you want to link to that, link to the thread I started, Yeah I saw that earlier just forgot to take it out because it wouldn't work :(.

You should have 2 other sticks. 3x2gb right?

You need to install them in the same colored slots (3 in the red, or 3 in the black). The manual should say that.

You should have 2 other sticks. 3x2gb right?

You need to install them in the same colored slots (3 in the red, or 3 in the black). The manual should say that.

Interesting, I'll try that I did it all in a row. That still seems wierd though, asus said I could run up to 24gb with 1600s but yeah I haven't OC'd it yet. I'm guessing that if anyone ever wanted 24gb they needed to go with what the mobo can handle. I'll go back to the manual and check for that.

You can populate all 6 banks, but to run triple channel with 3 sticks, they need to be in the matching colored slots.

I'll bet good money thats the issue.

I think I get what you're saying since they aren't rated 1333 ram I need to go with the colors. This is what newegg says:

"Up to 24GB of DDR3 1333 RAM can be installed with triple channel mode for increased performance. Get even more performance – up to 2000Mhz – through overclocking."

But like I said all I did was hook up the parts...there's chipset drivers and stuff I haven't even downloaded yet nor have I played with bios. Your suggestion seems valid though so I will do that first because I want to at least see if those sticks work.

Just to add the temp in my case was running at 19-21C so seems I got some elbow room.

Ram speed has nothing to do with it in your case as you are only using 3 slots regardless. Put all 3 in red slots, boot. Go into bios, set the timings and voltages manually, save bios, reboot.

Also case temps really dont mean a thing. Its the load temps of your CPU, which presumeably you havent tested yet that really matters.

Aside from putting the sticks in the wrong slots, you are well on your way!!! :)

Be sure to take a gander at that guide as Im certain a lot of this was mentioned in it. ;)

Yes, it was really hard and took me 5 hours to set up. I haven't touched a computer motherboard in 5 years so there was plenty for me to learn. The good news is nothing blew up ;).

Last 3 near the end of the mobo...they're all the same memory slots.[/COLOR]

Last 3 ?

Im using the RED slot as channel A and Blck slot are chanel B

CPU socket ---- B A B A B A

you have to populate A chanels.

There is a shot of my mobo.
New014.JPG

The red is where I have the memory so I will change that order out. I couldn't figure out what the Yellow area was for. Says CD...

Attachments

• New014.jpg
    New014.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 68
YELLOW : Thats the AUDIO for cd's ... useless these day.

Waiting your result with memory in right slot

ok bios sees it now...but I have to get the system to see it in windows xp so I'm going to work on the bios timings.

Does this look like my memory problem is fixed? Also how do you like my first virgin OC? :D Another picture in next post too.

Attachments

• shot1.bmp
    234.5 KB · Views: 85
wonder how to make these pictures smaller...

Attachments

• shot2.bmp
    78.2 KB · Views: 81
From your CPUz memory tab shot, you seems to be OK with 6gig of memory now.

You idle temp seem ok, but Idle meen nothing ... Download LinX and run a 10pass using ALL the memory avalaible.

cool ok I'll try to find a link for the linx, I think my friend was right it only recognizes the 3gb of memory in windows system tab...but I can see it in bios and that cpu-z. I got it OC'd at 3.6 now...the guide has me off a little...not sure if it's because he used different memory but it's still going good. I'm still trying to update the chipset no idea if that's what's going on.

Test your OC with LinX to be sure its stable and the temp are ok.

If you have a 32bit OS, you cant have more than ~3gig usable. You need 64bit OS.

The guy that did the guide is awesome...I'm at the 3.8 disregard the 3.6. I get the 64 bit on Tuesday-ish. My question is the minute I stop the Prime 95 it drops 20 degrees.

Back