• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpuz shows wrong speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roachgod

I'm still struggling with this stupid netbook to get it running at its peak. It is an Asus 1201 HA. It came with 1 gb of pc2-800 6400, and i swapped it out for a 2 gb stick of pc2-800 6400. The front side bus is supposed to be 533 for this pc and it shows that in the rated slot on cpu z, but the actual bus speed is only 133. From the way I understand it shouldn't it be at 266 since it is ddr2? I can't find any way to set it in the bios, but it should recognize the speeds automaticly shouldn't it?

So wait. You have DDR2 running at 266MHz (133*2). The FSB is at 533. CPU-Z says the RAM is running at 133MHz? Sorry I'm just slightly confused by the way you've phrased it :)

If it does say 133MHz then that's fine because the RAM itself runs at that but it's dual channel so effectivly *2 gets the overall speed (hopefully this is right, don't attack me if it's not :D)

yeah it says in the cpuz screen like this Core speed 1331
multiplier x10
Bus speed 133
Rated FSB 532
so your saying this is allright?
thanks btw

So wait... your running your RAM at 266MHz right? That would make sense for the 133Mhz Bus speed but what does the Core speed refer to? RAM speed? CPU speed?
This sounds more like CPU stuff than RAM sutff :s

If it does say 133MHz then that's fine because the RAM itself runs at that but it's dual channel so effectivly *2 gets the overall speed (hopefully this is right, don't attack me if it's not :D)
Dual channel does not double the frequency of anything.

OP: Post up a screenshot of the CPU tab and the Memory tab for clarification.

thanks for all . i was worried i got the wrong memory. now to figure out how to post my screenshot

thanks for all . i was worried i got the wrong memory. now to figure out how to post my screenshot

either have the pic hosted at photobucket.com or the like then post the URL or use the IMG URL. another way is to, when you post here in the forums. if using quick reply, hit "go advanced", from there scroll down to attach files then click on manage attachments and the rest should need no explanation.

*edit*
now even though the fsb is 133mhz, the chipset will use a diveder to achieve the higher ram speed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/Atom/crystalmark2004r3atom330.jpg
in the case of the pic i linked to of my Atom 230 box. you notice the divider listed under ram speed? that is what is making it run at 266 mhz. now in your case you should see it saying 400mhz, now this is the SDR rate. Since it is DDR, it is effectively running at DDR2-800.

Last edited:
I don't mean double the frequency but the speed it runs at is twice the bus speed. I don't know much about RAM, maybe I should leave this one to you all =P

I don't mean double the frequency but the speed it runs at is twice the bus speed. I don't know much about RAM, maybe I should leave this one to you all =P
DDR stands for Double Data Rate. Even with one stick, it will run twice the FSB.

ok well crash course... single channel is 64bit wide, dual is 128bit, each channel adds another 64bit. that is right now its 64bit wide per channel, that doesnt mean it wond change in the future. the SDR (single data rate) will always be shown in CPUZ. simply because that is the true speed, DDR uses that speed say 133mhz. it inserts data at the top half of the cycle and then the bottom half, that is how we get DDR. that is also why when you see/read most ram reviews they say effective Ram speed, ie DDR2-800, even though it really runs 400mhz.

The ram ought to be running at 266mhz for ddr2-533, that's what Atoms are built to run at, at least.

The ram ought to be running at 266mhz for ddr2-533, that's what Atoms are built to run at, at least.

that would be right for 945GM and the US15 chipsets. though that netbook he has is a ION netbook, NV's chipset can handle higher speed ram. after all the 6x0/7x0 have unlinked ram ratios. i havnet use a ION platform so i dont know if its the same. i would at least expect the NV chipset to do DDR2-800, i mean look at the price of some of the ION's.

Ahh, well then that's different.
ION ought to have some bios settings you can actually adjust, too. Or at least i'd hope so.

oh no i dont have the ion chipset. i wish i did though. thats on the 1201 n model. i have the 1201 ha model which has the intel500 integrated graphics. sorry for the confusion

untitled.jpg

Last edited:
oh no i dont have the ion chipset. i wish i did though. thats on the 1201 n model. i have the 1201 ha model which has the intel500 integrated graphics. sorry for the confusion

didnt notice more then one, opps.. yea your going to be limited to either DDR2-533 or DDR2-667 for ram speed. the GMA500 video is on the US15 PCH/Chipset.

I'm not familiar with that version of the Atom, nor it's chipset, so i don't really know what to tell you. Sorry :(

Back