• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tripple channel??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duckycrayfish

what kind of ram do you need for tripple channel? ive heard alot of different answers. like you need it to come in a tripple channel kit, or it just needs to be the exact model, and recently i heard it just needs to have the same speed and latency. what is true???

There are 2 and 3 module set.

Ex :
X58 use 3 channel DDR3
P55 use 2 channel DDR3

Its usually recommand to use same model/timing/speed.

Nothing special. Put these on a X58 mobo, in right slot, and your good to go triple channel DDR3

because im a little low on money :p and i want to save some money for a better graphics card then buy more ram later

i know that you can change the timings on the ram in the bios... but what is the limitation on what you set it as? when you overclock does it go up on its own?

i know that you can change the timings on the ram in the bios... but what is the limitation on what you set it as? when you overclock does it go up on its own?

It's limitation is that it is what you set it as. No, timings will not change when you OC.. unless you leave them on auto. And then when you OC to a certain point.. chances are high that you will have to loosen the timings to keep increasing the speed.

If you were gonna pick up 3 of those individual 2gb sticks.. it will run you $300.. and I have no idea if it will run in triple channel. I've personally always bought memory in kits, so a 4GB kit is 2x2GB dual channel sticks. Follow some of those Newegg links.. I saw some of that G.Skill Pi series 6GB (3x2) for $180 + shipping, stuff looks like a good kit unless you prefer OC'd sticks at lower timings.. which you will pay a lot more for. My 4GB kit cost me $104. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ooohhh so the limit is stability. makes sence :p... that might have been a stupid question though

its always a good idea to use ram with the same timings and power consumption,and you might as well get ram that has been tested in sets of three for triple channel

Back