• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 on ASUS A8V Deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

Has anyone successfully installed Win 7 on an ASUS A8V deluxe? I have been reluctant to try it since there seem to be no drivers for the Promise controller.

here is a solution I found on a microsoft support forum:

Molecular2009 on Technet said:
A8V DeLuxe comes with 2 RAID controllers:
one being the VIA VT8237 and the other is the Promise PDC20378 RAID controller.(Promise SATA 378).
I installed the driver in Win 7 32 bit in Win XP SPIII compatibility mode and every so now and than i was confronted with a blue screen...
Think it was an energy saving issue......Choose for best performance in energy management, turn the harddrive off after 760 minutes and energy management for processor in passive mode. No problems since ......
With NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GS AGP a 5.1 for the win 7 performance index.......

A8V DeLuxe; AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+; 2 GB memory, NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GS 512 MB and Windows 7 32 bit.
Promise SATA 378 in use in IDE mode....( 1 SATA Harddrive attached) On VIA VT8237 2 SATA Harddrives attached; IDE 1 and 2 for IDE DVD burners.( Plextor PX 760A)
Really fast...........Much better than XP or Vista........

XP64 drivers should work

I read on some forum that Win XP 64bit drivers might work and they did!... well, for RAID mode only, not IDE mode.

Cartel on the Asus Forums got the following Win7 Ultimate x64 results: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...1231798189-show-us-your-wei-win-7-2009001.gif

My rig:
A8V Deluxe Rev 1: Bios 1018.002
FX-60: 2.8GHz -200x14
4 GB DDR400 OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K (2.5-3-2-5): 3.25GB*
PowerColor HD3850AGP: AGP x4**, Fast Write, 256MB Aperture***
Promise RAID 0 148GB: 2 x Raptor 74GB (10K RPM / 1.5GB)
VT8237 SATA 74GB: Raptor 74GB (10K RPM / 1.5GB)****
Win 7 Ultimate (x64): 5.9 Windows Experience Index

* Software Memory Hole cannot be turned on with my video card, else it will BSOD on OS load. 256MB Aperature steals available RAM.
** Video card unstable at x8
*** Any aperature less than 256 will cause USB over-current error on POST
**** VIA SATA disabled in BIOS, but Win7 recognizes and uses it

Asus A8V Deluxe Issues - Windows 7 and 4GB RAM

Hello,

Spotted the post below this morning, and although I am interested in upgrading my DAW to Windows Ultimate 64, I am most curious how you managed to get 4GB of RAM to work with the A8V. I keep getting a USB Overcurrent warning, and then it shuts down. I have BIOS 1017...heard that's the problem. I see that you flashed to 1018. Does that fix the RAM issue?

I've got one matched pair of Corsair DDR in A1 and A2. The second set are identical in make, model, voltage, etc. Should work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Arion :-/

I read on some forum that Win XP 64bit drivers might work and they did!... well, for RAID mode only, not IDE mode.

Cartel on the Asus Forums got the following Win7 Ultimate x64 results: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...1231798189-show-us-your-wei-win-7-2009001.gif

My rig:
A8V Deluxe Rev 1: Bios 1018.002
FX-60: 2.8GHz -200x14
PowerColor HD3850AGP: AGP x4**, Fast Write, 256MB Aperture***
Promise RAID 0 148GB: 2 x Raptor 74GB (10K RPM / 1.5GB)
VT8237 SATA 74GB: Raptor 74GB (10K RPM / 1.5GB)****
Win 7 Ultimate (x64): 5.9 Windows Experience Index

* Software Memory Hole cannot be turned on with my video card, else it will BSOD on OS load. 256MB Aperature steals available RAM.
** Video card unstable at x8
*** Any aperature less than 256 will cause USB over-current error on POST
**** VIA SATA disabled in BIOS, but Win7 recognizes and uses it

Hello,

Spotted the post below this morning, and although I am interested in upgrading my DAW to Windows Ultimate 64, I am most curious how you managed to get 4GB of RAM to work with the A8V. I keep getting a USB Overcurrent warning, and then it shuts down. I have BIOS 1017...heard that's the problem. I see that you flashed to 1018. Does that fix the RAM issue?

I've got one matched pair of Corsair DDR in A1 and A2. The second set are identical in make, model, voltage, etc. Should work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Arion :-/

Here are the steps to get 4 gigs working on the A8V:
1. Remove power
2. Remove all but 1 stick of ram
3. Reboot and enter bios
4. Set AGP Aperture to 256 MB
5. Shut down and add up to 4 gigs ram total

Don't ask me why this works. I just know it works.

Hi,
It seems I'm not the only one having this problem. I have a rev 10.17 asus a8v deluxe board and I tried your advise, but I still keep getting that usb over current error as well. Do I need to update to 10.18 beta in order to make your advise work?

Here is what happens to me (agp aperture size is set to 256M):
1. I reset the cmos, the pc boots fine into 4096M ram
2. I reboot the system and then
3. BIOS says: 3584M ram and then I get the usb overcurrent warning

Hi,
It seems I'm not the only one having this problem. I have a rev 10.17 asus a8v deluxe board and I tried your advise, but I still keep getting that usb over current error as well. Do I need to update to 10.18 beta in order to make your advise work?

Here is what happens to me (agp aperture size is set to 256M):
1. I reset the cmos, the pc boots fine into 4096M ram
2. I reboot the system and then
3. BIOS says: 3584M ram and then I get the usb overcurrent warning

The 3548M ram is due to the 32 bit operating system. You need a 64 bit operating system to have use of the full 4 gigs.

www.planetamd64.com and search on FastTrak 378

Using the above 64 bit drivers, I confirm that for me that the Windows 7 64 bit install can find, on a Promise SATA port, a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB F1 in both RAID Mode and Onboard IDE Operate Mode on a A8V Deluxe

The original disk that came with the vendor built machine I moved to the bottom VIA port and that was found without hassle (but if required I believe updated drivers if required for the VIA can be found on their site).

The 3548M ram is due to the 32 bit operating system. You need a 64 bit operating system to have use of the full 4 gigs.

You may want to try disconnecting all of your USB devices. You may actually have an overcurrent condition.

If that doesn't work, try walking through my procedure step by step again. Make sure that you only have 1 stick of ram of size about 1 GB when you boot up and go into the bios. Then change the AGP aperture size to 256. Save the bios setting and shut down. Then put in the rest of your 4 gigs of ram and restart. This worked on my computer. I found this procedure by searching Google. I have 4-1 gig sticks of PC3200 ram up and running. I am also using Win XP and Win2K and Ubuntu 9.10 in a triple boot configuration. All three OSs work fine.

I am most curious how you managed to get 4GB of RAM to work with the A8V. I keep getting a USB Overcurrent warning, and then it shuts down. I have BIOS 1017...heard that's the problem. I see that you flashed to 1018. Does that fix the RAM issue?
You will notice in my quote below that I did not achieve full capacity four sticks...
and 1018 did not do much for me.

Jimmy, I tried without any USB connections or expansions!
I will try your procedure. BUT to make note: 4GB worked fine on XP-64bit, Win 7 64bit Ultimate BSODd when enable Software Memory Hole (which is the only way I have ever been able to achieve 4GB)... Did you use Software Memory Hole?
I really want that additional 500MB! I wish I didn't scratch my other 939 board, it was sooo much nicer :(

You may want to try disconnecting all of your USB devices. You may actually have an overcurrent condition.

If that doesn't work, try walking through my procedure step by step again. Make sure that you only have 1 stick of ram of size about 1 GB when you boot up and go into the bios. Then change the AGP aperture size to 256. Save the bios setting and shut down. Then put in the rest of your 4 gigs of ram and restart. This worked on my computer. I found this procedure by searching Google. I have 4-1 gig sticks of PC3200 ram up and running. I am also using Win XP and Win2K and Ubuntu 9.10 in a triple boot configuration. All three OSs work fine.

I will try your procedure. BUT to make note: 4GB worked fine on XP-64bit, Win 7 64bit Ultimate BSODd when enable Software Memory Hole (which is the only way I have ever been able to achieve 4GB)... Did you use Software Memory Hole?
Ok, 4GB is detected using your procedure + software memory hole enabled
But this does not save me from BSOD on atikmdag.sys (some ATI driver)
It's really sad.
Still stuck 3.5GB - 256MB Aperture (necessary to prevent USB over-current bug)

I have never been able to use more that 3.5 MB. That is because I am using 32 bit OS's on the system.

There's another way to get 4GB of RAM to work without the Memory Hole setting.
1) Flash Your Bios
2) Have your boot drive in PATA port or only drive on board.
3) Boot
4) OPTIONAL: If you reboot you have to reclear the BIOS.
LOLOLOL

I also have an A8V motherboard, non-Deluxe but with 4x1GB I get the same issue. I got a whole computer for free with a bad BIOS chip and 3 blown 1500 microfarad 6.3v capacitors next to the CPU between the I/O ports and the CPU right along the cpu.

I didn't notice the 3 blown capacitors until I tried to use 4x1GB RAM. It was reporting 3.3GB of RAM which led me to investigate. I replaced the capacitors and then I started getting the "USB Over current state detected" warning. It also says there is a USB Mass storage device detected and configure?

Anyway, when I first got it I had 2x1GB and 2x256MB so it seemed to work fine, although I get an annoying "System failed CPU test" until Slackware is partially booted. Hopefully this works when I get home.

P.S. Yes, this is an old post. DEAL WITH IT!

Back