• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to change water with reservoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pood

It's been 2 years, water is nasty looking and I've been getting overheating problems...time to change the water.

What's the best way to change the water? Any guides you guys can suggest?

If the water is nasty, I would drain the system and clean each individual component. Conundrum has a good guide on how to clean each component. You should be able to find a guide on how to take apart your CPU block, pump, etc.

is it really necessary to take apart everything? Swamped at work, no time to;(

well, atleast I can drain the loop easily enough, I've got a thermochill radiator

The problem I foresee is that there is probably build up in the little pins inside your CPU block and possibly inside your radiator. It is actually pretty common, especially if you say it "looks nasty". I'm sure you can just drain the system and refill it for the time being, but you should go through it when you can.

Sound like you need to make time. IMO, if your block(s) and/or rad are clogged up, I don't see a water change fixing it. Might help a little (temporarily). To me, it seems like changing your engine oil after the motor is knocking.

Just my opinion, someone with more experience may chime in and say your fine, in which case I'LL learn.

I'd highly recommend doing a full cleaning, especially after two years. There is going to be a lot of oxidation in there and since it's been so long, potentially a lot of plasticizer as well among other things if you're getting overheating problems. Conumdrum has written a nice walk through of his annual cleaning for the front page that should be published sometime this week. :)

If you are seeing nasty buildup inside your res, your blocks and radiators are likely far worse. To expand on the oil-change analogy, it would be like changing your oil but keeping your nasty oil-filter in place. All of the nasty crap in your water-block(s) and radiator is going to quickly foul the new water. Take a few hours to properly clean all of the components and then do a little research on proper protection measures.

Keep this in mind - your temperatures are not rising because the WATER is fouled. Your temperature is rising because your BLOCK is fouled. Replacing the water will not change a thing, just waste time. If I had a brand-new system that used your exact components (read: clean components), and I filled it with a mixture of algae-infested water and cat urine, I promise it'd cool better (initially ;) ) than your crud-covered waterblock and restricted radiator - with sparkling clear water.

It's time for a tune-up. Do it right =).

I couldn't agree more on haveing a full cleanup including takeing apart all components that can be taken apart to do a proper cleanup of them
Only changeing your water i really don't think will do you much good

I couldn't agree more on haveing a full cleanup including takeing apart all components that can be taken apart to do a proper cleanup of them
Only changeing your water i really don't think will do you much good

Bah, I guess I'll borrow a vid card till this weekend so I can take apart the loop Saturday.

Bah, I guess I'll borrow a vid card till this weekend so I can take apart the loop Saturday.

I could be wrong, but this morning before I left to work, I touched my pump to see if it's working...it made no vibration at all.

Could this be one of the reasons why there's so much build up?

Probably not, but the reason it's not working could be because of the buildup. You may want to tear it down as well to clean it out. What pump is it?

Here's my setup

Thermochill PA102.3 + Thermochill PA 120.3 Shroud
Swiftech MCW60-R VGA cooler + MC8800 Kit
D-tek Fuzion V2 + D-tek Fuzion V2 Quad Core Insert
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Reservoir
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
Tygon 1/2 ID R-3603
3x Yate Yoon D12SL-12, low from Petra.

At this point, if you have a spare computer, I'd turn it off until you clean it TBH. There is definitely lots of gunk in your loop throughout. You're only hurting your pump by having it a) push through a lot of things it's not supposed to push through and b) run with potential grime in it, causing it to work not only pushing water but just to turn itself.

I'm about 95% sure, that I'm going back to air, too much work for me.

I'll probably clean it up, the sell it.

That's what the classies are for...lots of people look to pick stuff up cheap. Hate to loose you from this side of cooling, but I understand. Please just make sure the pump DOES work by running some water through it after you clean it. :D

wow, i feel really ****ing stupid, apparently, the last couple days I was running my loop without the pump on, the power got disconnected somehow.

I think I'll keep the watercooling for the time being, change the water and maybe clean everything out once things calm down at work.

108C is pretty high for any CPU. If it was Intel CPU, it may have throttled and eventually quit to save itself from cooking. You should be OK on Intel CPU. OTOH if it was AMD... keep your fingers crossed.

Back