• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Swifty Triple Woot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

I just orderd another PSU 400W corsair... then I slipped, accidently navigated to the watercooling section and must have somehow caught the swiftech QP triple rad buy button :rolleyes:

so I thought to myself hmmm at least I have six spare fans and a choice of barbs spare... so ya know :shrug:

So spawn. I`ll see your rads and raise you a PSU :sly:

Also found the seperate rads good for cleaning. Simply unscrew six fans from one side of the rads. unplug the power & stick the industrial wet dry vacum on thoes fins.
not so good as a wash but measurable temp drop.

I was getting artifacts on my gpus at modest clocks with both cards blazing.

so I plan to migrate my two D5`s and the fan controller to the seperate 400Watt PSU.

when the Physx is working hard the 5V rail drops now and then to 4.97v

I think loads of fans, seven drives, two GPU`s, two D5`s and some clown lights may be upsetting it very slightly.

I put the second D5 in the loop and now the machine wont boot up with the external drive plugged in and miss fired the GPU`s once with the 13 fans from the controller at full.

power crisis with a 1000 Watt on tap.

may turn up before the weeks out so i`ll follow up with a pic of the destruction.

then maybe one after its put right.

4.97 5v is WELL within spec so I idoubt thats the issue..and I cant imagine power is either...

This after you built that pretty case for your two rads. What do you want to do with the third?

I wanted another psu for testing and priming... because its a two box fight.

and all the cables back `n forth from the two boxes.

I think it was an air bubble in the block that cause the cards to hang the one time. USB drives causing a hang because ive done bad things using it to upload and its freaked out on reboot.

but hey I carnt justify a lack of power as a reason to have hit the buy button :D
had some power cuts just for a couple of seconds a time a couple of weeks back and the lights and hi-fi went out but the computer kept running with no power... impressive smoothing.

so where to put the psu and the rad is a fair question.

A. I can chop the top of the rad housing out and mount it there, but its not ideal becuase im either uping the air pressure on the negative side of the rads in the box or pulling warm straight from the top rad.

B. stand off or bracket. I like bracket as an idea then I can keep them all facing the same way and avoid pulling any pre-heated air into the third rad.

Ive got an old leaverd toolbox that I was going to throw out... its been crushed and doesnt open and close.

I sense a toolbox mod coming on :D

#Laughs#

Also found the seperate rads good for cleaning. Simply unscrew six fans from one side of the rads. unplug the power & stick the industrial wet dry vacum on thoes fins.
not so good as a wash but measurable temp drop.
I prefer to open up the case and blow it out with a leaf blower. :)

one loop D5`s @ 5!

dance kill coil dance!

its working thoes blocks better, didnt get all the fluff out but im still a couple of degrees better off and the gpu temps dont climb as hard and drop off quicker.

anyhow it gets better...

toolbox bottom section Length 425mm Depth 93mm Width 200mm

this means its the right size to fit on top of the other rad housing, its the same width and only 15mm less length.

its askin for it :D

Dremel Round 2

FIGHT!

one loop D5`s @ 5!

dance kill coil dance!

its working thoes blocks better, didnt get all the fluff out but im still a couple of degrees better off and the gpu temps dont climb as hard and drop off quicker.

anyhow it gets better...

toolbox bottom section Length 425mm Depth 93mm Width 200mm

this means its the right size to fit on top of the other rad housing, its the same width and only 15mm less length.

its askin for it :D

Dremel Round 2

FIGHT!

LOL! So you finally got that kill coil dancing. I am sure that the better pressure from 2 pumps has helped increase your flow rate, which may have helped with the reduction in temps.

1.jpg

maybe a little tight on clearence.

If I stand it like the other two it`ll just tip over #Laughs#

sure the idea will gestate over the next few hours.

Edit: part cheap case, part aquarium reflector and soon part tool box.... franken coolbox.

dammit, guess i will have to get the credit card out again... well not for a while.

looks like a fun build, enjoy the low temps!

Bonkers!

I orderd the parts last night... they`ll be here this evening!

Tiny tiny UK action, surprised they didnt just shout back and say catch #Laughs#

20 Hours from Buy button to door :burn:

t.gif

just three fans on it right now.

GPU`s about 6`c lower under load so far :D

and about 5 - 6 lower at idle.

CPU the same and north bridge is 5`c lower.

Great ! :)

IM also 100% satisfied with my TFC Xchanger 360.
My Delta room/water is 1°c when idling and ~5°c full load.
Fans @ 1080rpm, room @ 25°c

Your going to Push/pull ? with srhoud ?

My "dust cakes" would suggest I should stop messing and get some shrouds like a real man.

all needs planning...

I put shrouds on the two in the case and no more room for the pumps & res in there.

also if I turn the direction of the flow round inside the rad housing the the whole thing needs to sit the other side of the machine but I get the chance to put some filter on the inlet then I can just vacum the hex mesh every now and then and keep the rads cleaner.

needs engineering for performance... habbits cost enough.

I think my GTX280 blocks ready for a clean, Nightmare!

I bet its pale blue. not cooling so good, expect the tims about cooked after all this time as well.

Build the mods and then break down the loop for its proper anual clean.

got to block the GTX260 192core as well... loose thoes 80mm fans for 2x 120mm blowing between the cards.

no rush

the white tac is holding the third rad on top well :-/

all science at me... so soon :-/

just fitted my buddy out with a Q6 that clocks well ;)

Right then... with fans set to bareable and missing a couple off the new rad 4 on right now... work in progress.

Air ambient in at the new rad on top

Air in with probe 22.1`c

water measured from res top, dont got no in line but theres plenty of circulation going off.

Water probe 23.1`c

trust old school thermometer

air in 20`c

water 22`c

at Idle... now im gonna get some food then thrash some games for a few hours and see what the probe says.

snap of the current temps... cpus at 4005GHz (dolphin saving features off)
sn.gif
at least the gpus dont stay clocked with this weeks drivers :D

so between air in and water at idle something between 1 or 2 degrees C

pie`s and a shoot out and i`ll report back on the peak water temp... and i`ll check the ambient air in as well.

note. the loops all over the flippin place right now so the res is after the gpu and pumps but before the first (new rad) so it should be the warm spot and its still swirling that high up the res.

after a bit of gaming everything clocked
Air ambient in 20.8
water 23.4

2.6 offset between air & water under load

CPU 8`c offset under gaming load

GPU 14`c offset under gaming load

sn2.gif
(snapshots just post load)

thats everything clocked fans on around 50% power.

Last edited:
The GTX280 can take more

Core 756
Shader 1512
Ram 2754

:shock:

no trouble with heat from the other card now.

shader and ram just wont go any faster.

previous

whole thing just eats heat now.

noisy on full... white noise generator :-/

still thinking about shrouds... £125 for 18 or £61.50 for the cheapest fans and then just cut the guts out :shrug:

I know its the right way but with good temps no further clocking to be had and stupid amounts of spend for the task. I feel like waiting for 18 retired fans.

sn3.gif sn4.gif

default & new clocks compaired.

Last edited:
i would love to shroud my setup too bobby, but i would hate to kill 18 fans just for that.

glad you could join the less then 3C (load) air water delta club too :)

if i didn't have to start saving for stupid car insurance i would order another triple in prep for the 120.16 setup i want. no more of this silly small 120.9 stuff :)

I can feel the air circulating round the room... never had a computer that made it drafty before #Laughs#

got a swiftech with a logo stamped in it now :p

there packagings improved... in a cotton sleeve bag and in a box.

I was getting to like new rads with the barbs I orderd loose and stuck in the fins.

this ones got all its paint on and straight fins.... hmmm shiny new thing.

seems my gpu has use for it anyhow.

if your having another, im blockin the 260 and upping the core voltage... so I need one :sly:

rad wars #Laughs#

Back