• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(another) first water loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davep7

Registered
im building my first water cooling rig. its only going to cool the cpu (i7 920) my case is a coolermaster haf 932.

rad - black ice GTX xtreme 120.3
res - xspc duel 5.25 bay resevoir (for future gpu loop)
pump - mcp 655 (or would the 355 be better)
cpu wb - heatkiller rev 3.0
fan controller - ???
tubing - 1/2" or 3/8" primochill
fan - scythe - 134 CFM (are 6 of these going to be too loud ?)

is all this going to work together ?? any changes anyone thinks would benefit the cooling ?

Welcome!

if this is the res you are looking at, then you NEED to use the mcp355 or mcp350.

great combo.

those fans are a perfect match for the rad you picked out. lots of airflow. i would image they are loud, but i have 25+ fans in my case, so my noise levels are different then most.

looks like a great build.

here is a guide for when you get the parts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide- though i personally take my blocks apart to inspect for anything.

im thinking a push pull config is what im going to do ??? is that overkill ?

hell no, even if it is, overkill is good stuff.

but your running a hot chip and when overclocked a triple suits it well. otherwise running stock or low overclocks a dual 120mm can be used.

if you get a fan controller you will need to make sure your are not putting to much wattage or amps through.

add up the amps and watts on the fans, i see 3.6 amps at 44watts.
(i think you add the amps, i'm not sure)

this does 45 watts per channel, but i don't see anything about amps.

i personally control my fans with a homemade switch. i can change from 5volts to 12volts on the fly.

Here is a Guide i made on making a 5v-12v switch, 5v-7v-12v, and 7v-12v switch.

the switches i use are rated for 6amps @ 120volts. so they will easily handle all 6 of those fans. i run 18 high speed yate loons off of 2 switches, but i could run them off 1.

im buying parts right now and im not sure on which size tubing i should go with ? any suggestions ?

Back