• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EPP and JEDEC ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedy187

Okay, so to my understanding every RAM module comes with it's own certified spec. that would be compatible with just about every computer that holds that X amount of memory etc. Also, I found out that my memory gives me two different options which is stated in the title of the thread : EPP and JEDEC timings.

So, first off I would liek to say that I understand OC'ing only up to the CPU part as I can get my CPU to reach 4ghz (although unstable since I'm still a noob to this) I'm running right now @ 3.3GHz with my timings in the BIOS set to 4-4-4-12-24 (I can choose 6-3-3-3 after that but it's useless as CPUz shows my last 3-4 options in greyed out boxes) and I can boot into windows except Prime95 will give me an error which I would *guess* that it's indicating my timings with my RAM seeming how I have my ratio set to 1:1 (I figured it would be best since I've read alot of forums/articles about going for the 1:1 ratio and the sticker that comes on the memory modules which states 4-4-4-12-24 @ 2.2v 800MHz) but I can only go as far as 667MHz for right now until I figure out the whole lowdown on what I need to do as opposed as what I not need to do.

for the people who say TL;DR; my question here is :

How do I make CPUz show my extra timings (which should be 6-3-3-3 as stated in the BIOS by the EPP program thing) or maybe How do I turn off EPP?

I am not running 4-4-4-12 @ 800MHz simply because I cannot get 2.2v on my motherboard but I am running 4-4-4-12 @ 667MHz with 1.8v with no problem until I hit Prime95 with some tests (Small FFTs, Large FFTs, and Blend) they all give me the same error which corresponds with my RAM timings because the first JEDEC spec. on the CPUz is 4-5-5-15-20 (again I cannot achieve 20 but I do get 42) which seems to run best with 667MHz, I switched from 4-5-5-15 to 4-4-5-15 then it showed me "error 0.48 (instead of 0.5), expected less than 0.4" and then I switch to 4-4-4-15 then started showing me 0.5 instead of 0.48.

Also, is there some sort of diagram that shows me all the fundamentals to OC'ing and maybe something that shows how to match timings or even add them together or something that can get me a little further into OC'ing?

I've had this PC for almost 2 year and I'm barely starting to learn how to OC so everything I've learned so far helped alot in my OC'ing experience but I feel as if I need some sort of diagram or something similar to show me the FULL *lowdown* on OC'ing but *just* the RAM and CPU

Also, what is 1000Mv converted into? wouldn't that be 100MHz? (for PCIe clocks)

Last edited:
EPP was from the start for NV based chipsets. because of the low voltage some sub timings might have to be looser. you should get memset from over at Xtrememsystems.com it will show sub timings for ram.

can you list the specs of your computer?

EPP was from the start for NV based chipsets. because of the low voltage some sub timings might have to be looser. you should get memset from over at Xtrememsystems.com it will show sub timings for ram.

can you list the specs of your computer?

I'll check that out real quick and here :

MSI P45 Neo3-FR v1.0
e5200 @ 3.3GHz (333x10) 1.35V
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC2 6400 800MHz (4-4-4-12 667MHz 1:1)
HD4850 by VisionTek
WD Caviar Blue 320GB
and an Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU

EDIT : just installed it and now I'm wondering what these two checked in options are for at the bottom of the program Lock mchbar and Auto? Maybe that is my answer ?

well i managed to get 2.2v with an actual POST but it hangs on reading the HDD

ok, now it sounds like the speed isnt high enough on the ram. not sure if you increase the ram speed while increasing ram voltage. if you put to much voltage into ram while at low clocks that can cause problems.

ok, now it sounds like the speed isnt high enough on the ram. not sure if you increase the ram speed while increasing ram voltage. if you put to much voltage into ram while at low clocks that can cause problems.

I usually don't up the voltage whenever I switch the timings on the RAM as I leave it at 1.8v since I figure I probably won't be able to achieve 800MHz. Also, is there something wrong with the motherboard if I am not able to POST without setting the RAM voltage to 1.8v everytime I reset CMOS?

I usually don't up the voltage whenever I switch the timings on the RAM as I leave it at 1.8v since I figure I probably won't be able to achieve 800MHz. Also, is there something wrong with the motherboard if I am not able to POST without setting the RAM voltage to 1.8v everytime I reset CMOS?

might be the motherboard but there are other things that could cause that. overvolting the ram at a low speed would be one of them as well

I usually don't up the voltage whenever I switch the timings on the RAM as I leave it at 1.8v since I figure I probably won't be able to achieve 800MHz.

My MSI P45 v1.0 msi7514 V 1.9 bios.
I never saw 1.8v on any of my Crucial Ballistix sticks.
My early Crucial sticks listed 2.2v later sticks 2.0v.
1.8v is the auto default or Jedec specs.
Rather then run slow mem I would use a divider.
Run memtest #5 and 7 a few times.
Update your bios.
With 2x1 Ballistix@ 2.23v I ran 6x500 3000 stock hsf 24 7.
After 8 rma's to Crucial I leave it loose @2.050v.
Because I run 4x1 sticks 2 rated at 2.2v and 2 rated at 2.0v I have start up problems also.
Rather then waste rma time I set the mem to 2.050v @5-5-5-15-30.
Then i used a divider no 1 to 1 but error free 24 7.

might be the motherboard but there are other things that could cause that. overvolting the ram at a low speed would be one of them as well

Would that include going under 800MHz and upping voltage for no apparent reason? I've done that quite a few times S:

I usually don't up the voltage whenever I switch the timings on the RAM as I leave it at 1.8v since I figure I probably won't be able to achieve 800MHz.

My MSI P45 v1.0 msi7514 V 1.9 bios.
I never saw 1.8v on any of my Crucial Ballistix sticks.
My early Crucial sticks listed 2.2v later sticks 2.0v.
1.8v is the auto default or Jedec specs.
Rather then run slow mem I would use a divider.
Run memtest #5 and 7 a few times.
Update your bios.
With 2x1 Ballistix@ 2.23v I ran 6x500 3000 stock hsf 24 7.
After 8 rma's to Crucial I leave it loose @2.050v.
Because I run 4x1 sticks 2 rated at 2.2v and 2 rated at 2.0v I have start up problems also.
Rather then waste rma time I set the mem to 2.050v @5-5-5-15-30.
Then i used a divider no 1 to 1 but error free 24 7.

If some extra info would help, I barely figured out yesterday that I have single sided modules. Another thing that gets to me is why this MemSet program tells me Channel A module's Performance Level is at 7 and Channel B module's Performance Level is at 8.

Last night I finally laid back off of 333 FSB and went with 266.

266x12.5 3.3ghz 1.4v
3-4-4-12-34-4-2-2-2 1:1 (266MHz) 1.8v

Prime Stable (this is the first Prime test I have ever had without an error[unless it's all stock of course D:], let alone an error happening after 2 minutes lol) I couldn't really get the 1:1 ratio myself but last night I guess I finally did

EDIT : I also found this to help me OC a little bit better : http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

yes that is what im talking about...

xD I'm a noob so :D forgive me lol

well, I read in a newegg comment that if I ever want 4-4-4-12 then always use 2v so I tried it and now I'm using 4-4-4-12-51-6-3-3-3 (as stated in MemSet) with 1:2 since I'm just seeing how it performs at stock speed 200x12.5 although I need to set it at 1.21v otherwise Prime will give me an error.

It's been Prime stable for over an hour now and I'm also using Reason.. 0:

last night, I tried to get 333x10 with 1.4vcore and the same RAM timings but Prime kept giving me an error or would just crash after less than half an hour but I got into windows so that kind of gave me a bit of relief

3.5 yrs ago the good Crucial came out and ran fast as hell at 2.2v.
C2D ran at over 500fsb @1:1 2.2V.
The problem was Crucial had a short lifespan at 2.2v.
Early single sticks 2.2 later single 2.0.
Ran memtest once 70 errors at 2.1 reset to 2.21 no errors.
Most Crucial isn't run at low FSB and the higher volts may cause problems.
I would drop my cpu divider to 7 or 8 then set mem to 1:1.
Dont worry now about your lower cpu speed.
Raise FSB till it errors in memtest 5 and 7.
If you keep getting errors 1 stick may be bad.

Back