• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech Apogee XT or EK Supreme HF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mordith

Registered
I know the Apogee XT is supposed to the best block out right now but how does the new EK Supreme HF compared to the XT? I have searched online but I can't find anything that shows how it compares to the XT. I want to replace my XSPC Delta V3 block with something better but I'm not sure which of these two blocks to get.

Have a nice nice lonnng read. These are top folks, well some of them in the discussion, been at watercooling and product testing and development longer than some people have even had a PC.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240124

I haven't seen solid testing results yet. From a scientific testbed person, like Skinnee. His home:
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

That said, we are starting to get to the max on these heatsinks. Any new 'better' HS will be a slight improvement. We have seen at most 2-3C total improvement in the last 1.5 years or so, and each one thats better is better by ohh maybe at most 1C.

The XT is availible, the GTZ is still a top block as is the HK 3.0.

We'll have to wait for solid tests, and not some hack review. Buy one of the ones I listed or the new EK block. Any of them will be good stuff.

BTW, I have a XT and it's a bit better than my GTZ was. Mounting system rocks.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Thanks for the useful links! I think I'm probably going to get the EK Supreme HF since performance seems to be very good and its also $5 cheaper than the Apogee XT at my local computer store.

I have another quick question. For a cpu only loop would changing my radiator to something like the Swiftech MCR320 offer better cooling performance and lower temperatures? Or is the Thermochill 120.2 radiator I have good enough?

it sure that mcr320 will give better cooling perfo / lower temps than a 120.2
I dont know how much degree u will gain i am thinking about 5-10 degree drop i think? im not sure about this +_+
120.2 is the Minimum for a Overclocked i7 920

the upgraded rad size should offer a few degrees more then a newer block.

but since your going from a thicker 120.2 to a thinner 120.3 i'm not sure just how much to expect.

You'll ge just about the same cooling, the MCR will be a bit better. In solid tests, the PA 120.3 is 10% better than the MCR 320. The PA 120.2 is 1/3 smaller than the MCR 320. So, you can see what I mean. You can do the math and decide. Looking at your clocks and voltages, methinks you got a hot i7 920 and might be better served with a 120x3 sized rad.

Look at Skinnees page. Look at many rads at about 7C Delta T and what fans they use to accomplish this at specific heatloads. I use 250 watts as my number for a loaded i7.

Ohh another place, in fact Martin was the basis for Skinnees test. Martin retired, Skinnee too over. Martins page has the PA 120 and the MCR rads.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/

it sure that mcr320 will give better cooling perfo / lower temps than a 120.2
I dont know how much degree u will gain i am thinking about 5-10 degree drop i think? im not sure about this +_+
120.2 is the Minimum for a Overclocked i7 920

You can be sure by beating your mind with Skinnees and Martins numbers.

If the MCR320 is about the same as what I have now then I think I might have to choose a different one. I would get another Thermochill PA 120.3 but its not available at my local computer store anymore. My only other choices are TFC X360 and HW SR1 360 and both are much more expensive. I'm leaning more towards that SR1 360 because its supposed to work really good with low speed fans but I"m not sure if its worth paying more than double the price over the MCR360.

You'll get 10% over a PA 120.3. And a PA is equal to the SR-1 or the XSPC 360. If your going to cool just your chip for now, a MCR320 is more than enough, you can run low speed fans on it and be fine. Like Yate Loon mediums, cheap and good, like the MCR rads, best bang for the buck.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to probably going to get the MCR320 because its cheap and the charts on skinneelabs.com show that all radiators perform about the same with fans in the 1000 to 1400rpm range. I'll probably get a new radiator first and then change my cpu block later.

Back