• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

workstation cooling mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cadman420

Just wondering is anyone ever tried to water cool a workstation board with dual Xeon processors? Not going for overclocking but for the silence.

I have water cooled my other system several times just never tried to do a dual CPU before. Now I am trying to figure out how much of a rad I am going to need. Good thing these Xeon's run cool.

Cooling a multi processor system is the same as a regular desktop. Just need two water blocks.

wouldn't you have to increase the size of the rad to handle a dual cpu? or I guess it would be like adding a gpu to a normal system.

wouldn't you have to increase the size of the rad to handle a dual cpu? or I guess it would be like adding a gpu to a normal system.

Bingo. A good system will handle a 2nd CPU just as well as it would another video card. At least 2x120 rad is probably a good idea though, 3x if you're cooling a gaming GPU too.

no custom blocks cad?

make 2 single blocks and braze them together :)

Now I didn't say I was going to buy the coolers. I do have to do some research on the connectors if I were to try this. I don't know yet. this is my work machine, and I am not going to overclock it or anything just would like to cool the system quietly, but you do have a really good idea there. could just hard pipe the blocks together.

Bingo. A good system will handle a 2nd CPU just as well as it would another video card. At least 2x120 rad is probably a good idea though, 3x if you're cooling a gaming GPU too.

If I have the room, I think I would like to go with the triple just in case I wanted to cool my video card too, nothing really special there just an ATI 4670 so I doubt it would give the cooling system too much of problem. The whole system runs decently cool now.

Doesn't it also depend on the processors you want to cool as well? The Nehalem Xeons may need a quad to make it silent with acceptable temperatures.

Since he's not overclocking, you can look at the Intel TDP values for the processors he is using as a guide to how big a rad he needs to run. Even if they are 130 watt TDP procs you are looking at 260 watts of heat dump at 100% usage. I would think a triple should do well for cooling, but since he wants silence I would go with a PA120.3 or RX360 over the others, which have higher FPI.

Since he's not overclocking, you can look at the Intel TDP values for the processors he is using as a guide to how big a rad he needs to run. Even if they are 130 watt TDP procs you are looking at 260 watts of heat dump at 100% usage. I would think a triple should do well for cooling, but since he wants silence I would go with a PA120.3 or RX360 over the others, which have higher FPI.

Those rads look good, how do they compare against a swiftech? I only ask since that is what I am familiar with, but I am open to change if better. My Xeons are
85 watt ( prestonia )

Back